Not satisfied with Oil Change?

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer
My 2003, 350 Mag I/O Mercruiser engine is supposed to hold approximatly 5.25 quarts of oil. I hooked up the water hose, started and allowed to get up to operating temperature, 170 degrees. I already had the Quick Oil drain hose out of the tansom hole, and laying on top of the oil pan. After getting to operating temperature, I killed the engine, and pulled the plug out of the end of the quick oil drain hose! I jacked the boat up in the front, "on the trailer" and allowed it to drain. After much draining, I was told to take a sharp punch and tap a hole in the top of the Oil filter, to vent, and allow it to drain its contents also, through the motor. I then got rags, and removed the oil filter, no problem so far. I also allowed it to drain all that day, and had even jacked up on each side, and lowered the front. I did not know the location of the Oil drain port that the quick Oil drain system is hooked too, so time was allowed in each of these position over a few days, of draining. I also changed the fuel filter. Then I replaced the plug in the hose, and put on new oil filter. I then got one gallon of recomended Oil and poured into the engine. Let that settle and checked the oil. Using the dipstick as a guage I'm guessing I'm a quart overfull. Now, I have not started the engine yet, and I know the Oil filter will suck up about a pint of this. So to double check myself, I took the drained oil from the catch pan and poured it back into the gallon jug container that my new oil came in. I'm guessing over 3 quarts, not quite 4. <br /> <br />Does not sound like a good oil change to me! Especially if the motor is supposed to hold approx. 5.25. I'm very glad I decided to change it at 85 hours now. I have plans to change it again at 100 hours, and may change it every 50 hours from then on. I would appreciate any suggestions, tips, to check or do to get more oil out in future oil changes. <br /> <br />I have posted on other sites, and one reply that could be a possibility is that the oil drain tube, might be positioned or pushed too far into the oil pan, and not allowing the bottom contents to drain. This being the case, this would be a warranty problem, but I'd hesistate to pull a good running engine over this. I commented that I might report the problem to my Warranty Service record, to get it on the books, and just try another oil change at 100 hours, and see if I get better results, and if not, buy the pump "which I think is stupid with having the quick oil drain system", to get the remaining contents out. Then with the problem reported on the Warranty Service record, the first time the engine has to be pulled, the oil drain repair, at least would be warrantied. <br /> <br />Can anyone see another angle to approach this problem? HINTS, COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS, welcomed.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Not satisfied with Oil Change?

I would have kept the boat level, but I am not sure if it would have made a big difference. I'd go with a pump if your Quick oil drain is an issue. Is there no way of getting underneath without pulling the engine? Pulling the engine sounds like a very extreme thing to do on a new boat. I think you are looking for trouble by doing this.<br /><br />One quart of old oil leftover from an oil change is no big deal. It's not going to harm anything. If it bothers you, use synthetic oils that are much longer lasting.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I concur with Cobra...not a big deal. I would change at 50 hours or year end which ever is first, and also try to maintain a level attitude, you'll probably see more oil drain that way.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Cobra, Mr. Bill, Many thanks for your replies. Getting to the bottom of my Engine Compartment to fool with this hose would require pulling the Engine. I agree, that pulling a perfectly good running engine over this is not a good idea. My experience with this is that I'd end up with a problem much worse than this one. I do plan to have it noted on my Service Warranty, so I could have it checked for free if the engine would have to be pulled for any other Reason. <br /><br />I'm only at 85 hours with this new boat, and I'm glad I changed it early, and plan to rechange again at 100 hours, Oil and filter. Even though I allowed the oil to drain over a period of a couple of days, and jacked it into several positions, I don't remember allowing draining time in the level position. THANKS, that is something else to try next time. <br /> <br />In regards to the synthetic oil, right now I am still under warranty, and will continue to use the recomended oil. May switch to synthetic later. I plan to get a mirror to make sure that Oil tube was not routed over something that I did not see. I have to use a mirror, because I can't get my hand under the motor. I'll try draining again, and changing filter at 100 hours, in the level positon. Before adding oil I will pour the drained oil into measured containers. I will also try pumping after that, if I don't get 5 quarts out. I've been told that even with pumping you never get the last .25 out. <br /><br />I know I am pain with being a perfectionist, and Preventive Maintenance, but if you could see this tight Engine Compartment, you'd understand why I don't want to let anything go. I am pleased to say though, that Winterizing, checking Oil, and the process of changing oil, and the Oil and fuel filter, etc. has all been placed in postions that you can get too. <br /><br />It's just a big motor in a tight place. <br /><br />I'll try draining in the level postion next time, any other suggestions?

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ditto to Cobra and Mr.Bill, I really wouldn't worry about getting the last drop of oil. The point of changing the oil is to refresh the additive package and prevent contminants from building up. The amount you are changing should do a good job of that. You might consider doing an "oil only" change halfway between the scheduled oil and filter changes if you're still worried. If you've ever filled a freshly rebuilt engine you would notice that it takes several quarts more than you can ever drain out. I would be far more concerned about a thorough visual inspection to check for chafing hoses, wiring, etc. Anywhere that a hose touches something, pull it away and check it for wear. Grab everything and give it a shake to feel for wear or looseness. You will most likely find something that could use an extra clamp.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Airman, I pull and check all wires and hoses I can get too. I can not get to the bottom though. I have to use a mirror on a extention rod, just to see under the motor. This 350 Mag fills the Engine Compartment, which is in the center pontoon of a Odyssey Lextra Tripontoon boat. I am proud to say though, that the pontoons are aluminum and there is no leaks, of any kind, the Aluminum is bright and shiny, clean as a whistle. If something drips, I'll know it. <br /><br />I have not re-started the motor yet, so I'm going to use the mirror and check out the routing of the tube, just to make sure it was not routed over something, which would keep it from draining. If it is routed right, I'm just going to change the Oil and Filter, again at 100 hours, and change the Oil & Filter every 50 hours after that. This engine is just too tight, to squabble over a 7$ oil filter, and 5 quarts of oil. I'd rather change it too much, than to have to pull the motor, to save a buck or two over a filter, or oil. At 100 hours I'll drain it in level position, and use a pump if I don't get close to 5 quarts out.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

GB, Just curious, did you check the oil level prior to changing it? Marine engines use their torque whenever your underway. If your rings haven't seated correctly, it is possible that oil usage had occured before they had a chance to seat. <br /><br />With this last oil change, check your levels before each time you start your engine up. This will tell you if you have something going on that is burning the oil. Being a new engine I wouldn't think that would occur, but things like that has happened.....Just a thought from the SS

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Greetings SS, I do believe I have some oil usage going on. I do add just a little oil, every time I boat, and thanks for the reminder, I do check my oil, every day I start my motor. <br /><br />I did check the level before starting the motor to run up to temperature, and it was about an 1/8 of an inch below the full line, so I figured that was about a pint, and enough just to run up to warming temperature. I agree that the rings have not seated yet, and I've been given the ok to add a little Marvel Mistry Oil in the next oil change. <br /><br />Right now, I've got the water drained and my light bulb on in the engine Compartment, because of tempertures dropping into freezing. I'm collecting ideas, to go at it again when it warms up and I have a day or two off then. For right now, I'll just keep it closed and warm.

Flying Kidney

Recruit

While we are talking about oil, I have another question. It's the age old regular oil vs. synthetic. I just bought a used boat with 2 new (25 hrs) inboard 350s. I am thinking about switching to synthetic oil. Because these engines are generally running at med-high rpms all the time - vs. a car engine which spends most of its life at idle - I wondered if there is an issue of going from a Heavy Duty oil to synthetic.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

As long as you stay in your recommended grade of oil, all is well.