Not all seals are created equal (old vs new)

blueboat1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I pulled the oil/prop seals out of the lower unit on my 74 Johnson 70hp last night. Made of brass, stainless springs and rubber. Very tuff stuff. I when i pulled the new replacement seals out of the package i almost fell over. they are pressed metal with rubber. they just look like they will not last 1/2 the time the factory 74 seals did. I put the two on my work bench and ask my wife wich ones looked tuffer and she asked if they where the same parts? funny how some things get better with time and others... well get cheaper.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Not all seals are created equal (old vs new)

Are you sure it's an OEM original equipment manufactuer's part or just a cheepie AutoZone CR brand they have provided with an OEM part number and retail price?

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Doesn't surprise me a bit. I'm a design engineer for a commercial airplane maker. 15-20 years ago our parts were designed to last the life of the airplane. Quality and reliability were the number 1 design requirement. Today cost is top priority and parts are designed to last through warranty or meet FAA requirements. Reliability is traded against spares revenue. I doubt if the outboard industry is much different. If that seal fails in a few years you have to buy a new one don't you. Or better yet buy a new motor. It's not good business to make that seal too good.

blueboat1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i had a choice of the cheap one $9 something or the good one $14. i got the "good ones" since i dont enjoy working on the motor as much as i do enjoy running it. I think thats how the get repeat customers. :rolleyes: