Northstar repower?

45Auto

Commander
Re: Northstar repower?

They're even talking about putting soleniods on each valve in the future

They've been building "camless" engines (solenoid operated valves) for about 10 years now. Seems the big problem has been valve wear as the solenoid and/or springs slam the valve back down onto it's seat instantaneously.

With a cam, the valve isn't slammed into the seat, it's slowed down as it approaches the seat since it's following the curve of the cam profile.

A company called Siemens has developed special electronic actuators (solenoids) along with the software that keep track of where the valve is and slow it down as it approaches it's seat. I think they're used on the camless engines that Mercedes, Fiat, and Alfa Romeo are supposedly coming out with in the next year or so.

There's a short article about them here:

http://www.sae.org/automag/toptech/02-2001/toptech5.htm

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

justchange, sorry to read you are not well. My prayers are with you.

As for this #*^! thread, it is like a bad soap opera. I want to go away and die, but yet, I can't help myself from coming back and reading:eek:.

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

justchange, sorry to read you are not well. My prayers are with you.

As for this #*^! thread, it is like a bad soap opera. I want to go away and die, but yet, I can't help myself from coming back and reading:eek:.

Thanks for that Thad. I'll be ok but it'll take a change of occupation [truck driving isn't a very healthy occupation] And perhaps a change of states. [Fl is appealing] ;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

OK, I have attached a stupid poll to it . . .

telephone_pole1.jpg

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

move on down, we were sweating at 7pm at the little league baseball fields down in gainesville fl. expecting a low of 54 thursday night, so will have to wear long pants and a jacket to the game

mylesm260

Chief Petty Officer

Don't know if you would call this the GEN V or not, but here's the NEXT version of the chev small block

"
The General Motors Powertrain (GMPT) "Gen3" and "Gen4" V8s are some of the World's great engines. Performance-wise, they beat Ford's OHC V8s like a rented mule. They've been on Ward's 10 Best Engines List not just once, but three times since 1998.

Still not a believer? Ask Chrysler. In the late-'90s, during it's development of the modern "Hemi" V8, it benchmarked GM's Small-Block architecture, then reproduced some aspects of it in the 5.7-liter Hemi it introduced in 2002. Chrysler borrowing from that design for V8s in its trucks and performance cars says much about GM's engine technology. Some might be disbelieving of the Gen 3 V8 being inspiring to a competitor but, if you ever see the two short blocks apart, side-by-side on a bench; the influence will be noticeable. Imitation is the finest form of flattery.
"

ChrisCraftJohnny

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With that being said,

All NHRA Top Fuel/Funny Cars engines, no matter what big three logo is on the sheetmetal/fiberglass,

are HEMI's.

No ifs, ands or buts about it. The Hemi blows em all away. That's why they all use them.

:)