none ideling 60 help!

mitch que

Cadet
i have a 1990 60hp eveinrude that wont idle down with out dyieng it runs great at high speed but when i want to idle in gear this is in the water not on muffs it misses then dies can some one please shead some light on this for me ty

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: none ideling 60 help!

start at the beginning. compression, spark tests. use testers. when were the carbs last properly cleaned and rebuilt, with kits?

without all of this info. we are blind.

compression over 100 psi within 10% from top to bottom, spark jump 1/2 inch

Attachments

• spark tester.jpg
    spark tester.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 0
  • compression guage.jpg
    compression guage.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 0

mitch que

Cadet

the spark plugs were just changed and compression was chked 110 in each cyl the carbs were done 4 months ago all this done at a certified shop

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

then he has your idle set too low. have him test it in the water.

i hate boat repair shops that do not water test their work, when done. a motor is never repaired until it runs properly in the water.

reelnative

Petty Officer 3rd Class

110 in each cyl is kinda low shes on her last leggs, but it sounds like you need a carb job sounds like your low speed jetts are clogged up, gotta love our new gas

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Check that your carburetor throttle plates are closed at idle and perfectly synchronized through their range of motion. The throttle plates should be horizontal and no more at WOT. Often the carburetors are replaced after service without following the synchronization and linkage procedure in the service manual.

If you find that they are not fully closed at idle, disconnect the throttle cable and adjust the carburetors to synchronize, then adjust until the roller is aligned with the correct raised mark on the cam follower. When that is satisfactory, adjust the cable so that it slips on without moving the throttle lever on the engine.

mitch que

Cadet

ok the shop said they put it on the dyno lol i wish theyed put it in the water also it runs great out of the water as far as low compression goes i think thats normal compression for this motor 110 in each cyl. with no deviation between each cly an
d this motor has hardly been ran at all> ty for the cartb advice ill start there

D

DJ

110 is on the low side but should be OK if even across all three. The engine is a bit tired, IMHO.

With that, you'll have to play with control cable and idle adjustment. Stay clear of timing adjustments.

mitch que

Cadet

ok now im confused about the compression ive heard 100 in each cyl is good mine cheack out at 110 each. ive also heard that i could have a low compression head on it some one tell me for a fact what is it sposed to be...

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Since when is 110+ compression considered low ? All my motors are 100+ and they run like a top, I think you are fine. You could do a decarb to bring it up more, have you ever done one?

reelnative

Petty Officer 3rd Class

110 is very low but still usable you need 88psi to make a compression stroke that will fire in a gas 2 cycle motor, in 1986 jon made one motor with a low comp head and that was a 4 cyl motor that made 90psi. that motor run only lasted 1 yr, most new motors will have 145 to 150 psi new the older smaller jons 88, 90 hp 90% blocks came with 135 to 150 psi new so if you have a motor that is in the low 100s you have a tired motor

D

DJ

My 1989 60 showed 120 in each cylinder until it destroyed # 2 and 3. No fault but mine. I didn't see the mud dauber nests in the carb throats.:mad:

Ten PSI difference may be a tester issue too.

Like I said, 110 is a little low but OK if even. You may have a couple of slow or sticky rings. Nothing a little Sea Foam might help.

I wouldn't worry about the compression. Just make sure the Synch/Link is correct and the idle is to spec.