Noisy Bilge pump

jackrabbit66

Seaman
My bilge pump is rather noisy when its pumping water. I did a test by having it fill up a 5 gallon bucket and it did the job at a flow rate of 240 GPH. I would take it apart to check the impeller but the screws holding it all together are rusted and cannot be removed. Is it time for a new pump? any brand or GPH suggestions for salt water use on a 19' boat?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
On many pumps the motor cartridge is a twist/lock design.

You may have some debris in the impeller housing.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
In all my years of boating I've never had a noisy bilge pump but I know they should run pretty quietly so something ain't right. Personally I wouldn't mess around with trying to fix it. I'd just install a new one. They are not expensive and you will have peace of mind knowing you have a new dependable pump.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like it is time to replace it. If what you presently have is doing the job, replace it with the same brand. Asking for the best brand gets everybody's favorite and usually you end up not knowing any more then you started with. So pick one and buy what you need. Just remember salt water works on them harder then fresh water. So it will need attention a lot sooner then fresh water setups. JMHO!

jackrabbit66

Seaman
I took the old one out and checked the impeller, no debris. I decided to go ahead and order a 500GPH "Rule" unit. They seem to have good reviews. I'm sure it will be less powerful than 500GPH but it cant be any worse than what I have. Also discovered that the float switch doesn't float. not sure if its because i tested it with fresh water or because its a POS. The float switch has one job.....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I took the old one out and checked the impeller, no debris. I decided to go ahead and order a 500GPH "Rule" unit. They seem to have good reviews. I'm sure it will be less powerful than 500GPH but it cant be any worse than what I have. Also discovered that the float switch doesn't float. not sure if its because i tested it with fresh water or because its a POS. The float switch has one job.....

Any float type switch will float in fresh water or salt water. And if yours isn't floating, time for a new one of those as well.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like your bilge needs a redo, new pump, float and maybe look for anything else down there that is worn out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Why is your bilge pump running?