noaa forecasts usually wrong

great gricey

Seaman Apprentice
I live in Ashtabula Ohio, on Lake Erie, and I often go to the noaa site for marine and boating conditions and forecasts. More often than not they are very wrong. The other day i went out after looking at the forecast and by the time I was 1/2 mile out I was in very rough seas (4 to 5 footers in a 16 foot runabout). Last week I looked at the conditions and at the forecast and they reported waves 2 foot or less. When I got to the boat launch the wind was whipping and the inner harbor had white caps. It is so frustrating to try to go out. Just felt like venting. Anyone agree or disagree? Am I way off?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: noaa forecasts usually wrong

BTDT and I agree. The Great Lakes tends to make its own weather. I prefer calling it the Cold Weather Magnet Lakes as it tends to pull the cold down from the north more often than not.

I have the best luck with **** Goddards forecasts even though he is getting older than dirt. :D

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer

That may be true....but when it comes to Hurricane Tracking, I go with NOAA. I don't know why but in the past 5 years or so, every hurricane seems to track exactly where they predict, even when other models say different.

Dock Rat

Cadet

Lake Erie is shallow for a lake of its size. I've seen waves build from 2' or less to 6'ers within minuets. The waves on Erie is totally different that what you find in salt water. The 6' waves can be as little as 30' from peak to peak. In the west end of the lake with big waves, you can see the lake bottom at the bottom of the wave. That is why that lake can be so dangerous. Just heard on the news today that some people are still missing with only one body recovered so far.:(

I can't remember when it was, but the westerly winds blew so hard for so long, it just about drained the west end of the lake and Sandusky Bay. Many boats laid on the bottom at their slips.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Am I way off?"

Yes.

Bifflefan

Commander

Weather Forcaster, the only job you can have and be wrong 100% of the time and still have a job.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

We had a warning about ice fields creeping south today?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I listen to NOAA broadcast on the Marine Radio. Always 100% accurate. And the chick with the computer generated voice sounds hot. :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

JB - ever been on Lake Erie?

Several times, but that is irrelevant. He didn't say on Lake Erie, he just said NOAA is usually wrong.

Around here NOAA is accurate over 99% of the time. Pretty much the same most places I've been.

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm a big NOAA weather fan and use their hourly weather graphs, but I got give them a 50:50 here. For daily forecasts, I can usually do better walking outside and looking at the sky. The summer forecasts tend to be CYA with partly cloudy and a chance of rain.