No top end speed

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 95 Mercury 60hp, the motor ran fine but had a gas leak, not bad at all. One day we went out and it ran as usual then started to bog down, we could barely get back to the dock. I took it to the shop and they rebuilt one of the carbs and told me it was plugged up. The also did some electrical work that needed done. $900.00 later we took it out and it still is not running correctly. I can only get 3800 RPM out of it, but every once in a while it would pick up like nothing is wrong but only does it a second or two and not very often. It seams to be running smooth but no wide open throttle. It also is very slow picking up speed.Any help would be appreciated. I noticed that I still have a small gas leak yet. Would it be the carbs need rebuilt, all of them?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: No top end speed

NO FUEL LEAKS ALLOWED!!!!!

Find it and fix it. Period. Loose fuel on a boat can be VERY dangerous.

Check all fuel lines, primer bulb, and fittings, replace any hoses that even begin to look old, hose is cheap, almost nothing compared to the cost of a burnt boat with PEOPLE on board.

Squeeze the primer bulb while watching all fittings and carburetors, look for even the smallest drop of fuel leaking. Repair as necessary.

Generally when a customer brings me a boat with complaints that it is not running up to standard the first things I check is cylinder compression and I test spark while cranking the motor over. If BOTH of these test are well with the acceptable range then I can be sure that I can get his problems solved by addressing the fuel system. Often by cleaning and adjusting the carbs and checking the link and synch of the throttle/ignition.

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: No top end speed

Thanks for the response, I thought it was leaking but it is not, a compression test was done and all were good. I am getting spark at all cylinders. All I can do now is change all gas hoses and primer bulb. I will take all the carbs off this winter and rebuild them, and hope this will take care of this situation.