No tilt??

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Re: No tilt??

So far no takers, LOL. My 55hp is a bear as it is, can't imagine a 100HP. Eventually I hope to buy a damaged 55 or rig up a lift system, which is proving difficult. Until then I guess I will have the wife help me put a pc of wood in there like a previous poster suggested.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Man up Nancy! I manually tilted my '73 Johnson 85 for 5 years!

I now have power TnT on my '81 Evinrude 90 and man is it nice :)

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

LOL, OK guys I hear ya! But on mine I have to release the latch manually at the bottom, and then lift from the bottom, no springs on this thing, it is dead weight! Welcome to come give me a hand if you want.:)

jon705

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL, OK guys I hear ya! But on mine I have to release the latch manually at the bottom, and then lift from the bottom, no springs on this thing, it is dead weight! Welcome to come give me a hand if you want.:)

Agree with ya JSGOLD on the "no springs on this thing." I've manually tilted outboards with spring assist with no problems. I wouldn't be complaining if my springs were working. They make it a piece of cake.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Mine has been stripped of all release hardware, springs, handle and locking plate. I can lift the motor up and have the wife jam a pc of wood but it is awkward because the release itself is on the right side, if I use my right hand I have to bend over, push it and raise the motor with one arm until I can release the latch, then try to lift further. I know it sounds like it's not a big deal but it is awkward as heck. What we will do is have the wife push the latch then I can more easily lift it then she can put the wood in. Should be OK, just not a one person job like it is.

Last edited:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

see if you can find the lever apparatus for lifting it. Two pieces, or you could make one. Claw in the back hooks onthe back of the cowl; rubber feet on front. That's what we used on our 55's growing up; my little sister could handle it so can you!

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Not sure what you are saying by lifting apparatus....The motor had a release handle and a locking plate, and springs for helping lift. All is gone. Removed somewhere along the line and previous owner only ran it in large lakes so he never had to deal with lifting except when he put it on the transom saver on long trips. Do you mean putting some kind of handle on the rear to assist lifting??

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

That is a neat looking item. I would still need someone to put pc of wood under the motor of course but it is something to consider. Wish this thing had a lock mechanism on it yet. No matter what I will have to be sure to stay out of shallow water in large lakes to keep prop from hitting. That is why previous owner had a new depth finder on it, to keep from dragging motor... I was thinking, if I can find or make another way to release the catch at the bottom I can lift the motor from the rear. I have the winter to deal with this thing, maybe I can figure out a lock mechanism. Thanks guys!

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Would parts from a 79 ER 50HP fit this thing? A guy had a whole motor on Ebay recently and his had motor problems(rings broke) and it did not sell. He is intersted in parting it out...but I am unsure if this would be a simple matter to buy the mounting assembly, tilt parts, or if just not worth the trouble...might not fit anyway but it's a thought.

reelfishin

Captain

Man up Nancy! I manually tilted my '73 Johnson 85 for 5 years!

I now have power TnT on my '81 Evinrude 90 and man is it nice :)

I've been running a non power tilt and trim 135 on my 18' Starcraft for years now, it's a 76 and not worth adding tilt and trim, it had it, it was bad, I tossed it. It's got no lock mechanism on it, when I tilt it, I reach back and slip a 12' long chunk of 4x4 under the motor to which I attached a rod for a handle.
I simply strap it down so it can't bounce and let the board fall out when on the road.

I had a 150 V6 that had a bad power tilt unit for years on my 19' Renken, that tilted just fine too, it wasn't the most convenient, but it got me out there fishing.

A buddy with a 48SPL on an old trihull came up with a home made rig to hold the motor up while he jumped out and secured the transom saver. He bent up a piece of old wire CB antenna with a hook on each end, the then put an eye bolt in the front edge of the splashwell. He would use the motor tilter to tilt the motor, then hook that rod onto the motor and to the eye bolt holding the motor up. It simply hooked the cover handle area and the eye bolt. It wasn't fancy but it worked. This way he could lift the motor, keep it there for loading without getting in the water, and then secure it better when on dry land.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

I guess the only thing we have or will be able to work out is me and the wife will work as a team to get it lifted and blocked up. Since mine has no tilt mechanism or no locking mechanism at all what I can do is lift the motor up by hand and have the wife jam a pc of wood in it for now. It is just surprising how heavy this thing is without the manual tilt assist stuff taken off. That being said, we can deal with it like it is. The big thing was figuring out how to release the lock at the bottom when the engine is in the down position. Since we will have to use the boat about 60-70% of the time like this we will get plenty of practice, LOL. I might just leave it that way and only remove the wood when we go to the bigger lakes. I am going to have to be wary of running the motor in shallow water though when I do, say at campsites. If this is the worst thing we have to deal with we will do OK.