No stream 94 Johnson 25

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys, changed impeller today, old one had disintegrated, and left a burnt up mess. Got a new one this morning but I'm only getting a few drops instead of a stream. I cleared the gunk out of the tube attached to lower unit but now I'm thinking it's clogged further up in the power head. I'm thinking I should drop the lower again and run water from the hose up into the power head..... Any thoughts?

mrdrh99

OK.... So, I was able to pour water in at the top and it drained thru the bottom so no clog.... I'm lost... Help! J25rlerc

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
getting a few drops where? talking about the tell tale? If so, could be just a clog at that point (run a tube or wire in).

edit. Where did you go in at the top? cyl. head off, and cleaning passages, maybe? (think that might be appropriate, given the nastiness with the old impeller.)

Last edited:

mrdrh99

OK... I'm bad with names but I have pictures! I removed this nipple and poured water in here
And this is where is drained from
Yes the black hole!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Well, that lower unit hole is just a drain hole, but see you have muffs -- probably going to see water forced out with the muffs. The nipple on the exhaust cover looks to be the overboard nipple, but not sure where it's factory installed on your model -- probably where it is. There would (should) be water coming out either on muffs or running in a barrel. There are a couple of gaskets that need to be replaced if you pull off that exhaust cover, but you might want to do that if you can't clear the water passages (i.e., water won't circulate). If that's a salt water motor, there can be blockages in the water passages in addition to the disintegrated impeller issue. Running water up the tube is a good idea -- get a hose that fits tight, and pump water up using a hand pump or something similar (not too much pressure). You can also use that nipple to shoot some water from the top.

mrdrh99

So pulling the exhaust cover should be last resort? Is there a way to do that without replacing gaskets, just to see if that's the problem? I already ran weed trimmer line through there and it came out clean. Is it possible to put the plate under the impeller on backwards or upside down?

Just thinking of other possibilities

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
$10 to $15 for exhaust cover gaskets, give or take, then a head gasket and an t.stat cover gasket if you get into those. Thing is, the motor was apparently pretty messed up, and it makes sense to clean out those water passages. The wear plate under the impeller usually goes in only one way -- should polish it up, along with the housing. Try back flushing through that nipple -- won't get at all the passages but can pick up some. Let's see, if you want to take a cautious approach, I would do the flushing from top and bottom, replace impeller and clean everything up in the l.u. Then I would consider pulling off the t.stat cover (gasket in hand), and replacing the t.stat. When in there, you will be able to do some effective back flushing again catching much of the water passages. Then put it together and see what you have. (Again, if salt water there is going to be more corrosion.)

edit. with racerone, get to the boat test and see what you have (Big believer in just running them) -- but assuming you have it pulled apart some (at least the l.u.), do some flushing along with the l.u. cleanup then have some fun with it in the lake.

Last edited:

ChipnKim

Cadet
Do not trust the "muffs" to get a good stream of water. I just replaced my impellor on my 94 j25 and tested with muffs and got no flow. Was going to tear down again but decided to double check with trash can full of water up to the normal water level if on the lake. Pumped excellent, for some reason, the water flow through the muffs is insufficient to come out the weep hole.

mrdrh99

Yeah I've tried the can also... I got a couple squirts but the head is getting way too hot for it to be working properly.... I'm going to drop the lower, check the new impeller and look at everything one time before taking her into the shop