No Start

Johnbouy

Recruit
I have a 2006 Yamaha 150Hp four stroke that will only start on my battery position one. When I move the switch to position two I get a clicking noise and the battery voltage drops to under 10 volts (like a dead short). If I exchange the batteries to the opposite positions the same thing happens. I have taken the switch out and took it apart and it looks brand new, did a continuity check and all switch positions check out. I disconnected the battery from all connections and used jumper cables to connect it to the input port of the switch with the same results. I then put the jumper cable directly onto the output terminal and it reacted the same way (meanwhile the position one of the switch will always start the engine). Any ideas?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Johnbouy This is your new thread. It is posted in a completely unrelated thread. Please read the Help Tip on top of the page.

You might have a bad cable on battery #2. Check the negative cable, too.

Johnbouy

Recruit
Yamaha 150 HP four stroke, No start on position 2 of battery switch

I have a 2006 Yamaha 150 HP four stroke and it will only start on position one of the battery switch. When I turn the start key the engine makes a sound for a second and if I look at the battery voltage it drops from 12.6 volts to under 10, as if there is a dead short. I have swapped batteries(and put a new battery in) and it still will only start on position one. I disconnected everything from battery # 2 and used jumper cables to connect to the input position on the battery switch and it will not start. I connected the jumper cables to the out put terminal of the battery switch (by passing the switch) with the same results. If I start the engine in the "both" position of the battery switch, the alternator seems to charge both batteries. Note: battery one is in the rear of the boat and has about a 2 foot run to the engine while battery 2 is about a 9 foot run. Given all this; is it possible that I have a weak solenoid or starter motor, that can't deal with the longer run from battery two?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Johnbouy

Merged your two threads.

sam am I You original post had text and a wiring diagram. - Never mind, Sam. I crossed threads. :doh:

Last edited: