No start - feels like fuel issue

PirateDave

Cadet
Short version: Went to head out tonight, and the boat would not start. Went out yesterday - boat worked. Went out today - boat worked. Tried tonight, no start. Crank, occasionally no start or occasionally start with immediate stall.

2003 Larson 287 Cabrio, Volvo-Penta 5.7 Gi-C original to boat.

Here's the details:
Earlier this season, the boat lost power underway and stalled and never started again. We ultimately traced it to a failing high pressure pump, so my mechanic replaced the entire fuel cell (assembly with LP pump, HP pump, and filter). After that, it was all good for several runs. My next issue was a serpentine belt that walked up and down the circulator pump pulley along with a high temp reading (gauge was pegged, but no smell or indication of engine failure). I replaced the seawater impeller (cause why not), pulled the S-belt, and noticed that the circulator pump felt rough when I would spin it. I replaced the circulator pump and the belt tensioner. Started up again. This time, the belt stayed put. (Yay!).

I still get a high temp at the gauge. No alarm. The gauge will go to 160-170 or so and then jump to pegged high. Then after a little bit back to normal temp. A laser thermometer tells me that the engine is not running hot. So I suspect an issue with the temp gauge sender - probably an intermittent ground in the line.

I ran the boat yesterday for about two hours at around 2000 rpm. (Temps were fine.) I thought I noticed a hesitancy to come up on plane when I started to apply additional throttle, so I just kept it at 2000 and puttered around the bay. Today, I took it out again for about two hours. This time, I worked through the hesitancy to come up on plane (again temps are fine - gauge was working). She came up slowly, but ultimately (about 1-2 minutes after pushing to full throttle) came up to full RPM and came up on plane.

Left the boat in the slip for about four hours. Came back to head back out again. This time, she would not start. I turn the key, the starter engages and she even appears to start, but then immediately stalls. If I try again right away, then she just cranks. If I leave her sit, or if I throttle back and forth and then start, same thing (start with immediately stall).

I feel like this is a fuel issue. I think the belt/circulator pump issue is separate, but I'm including the details here for full context. I'll call the mechanic tomorrow, but right now I'm open to ideas or steps to check while I wait for him.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Check that your alternator is working correctly, as after a start the power for the pumps comes from the alternator.

alldodge

Staff member
Have you tried to start by moving throttle forward (throttle only mode) about 1/4 way?
Have you replaced the distributor cap?
What is the fuel pressure at the TB?

PirateDave

Cadet
AllDodge - I did try to move the throttle (in neutral of course) with the same results.

I did not get a chance to start checking field pressure myself - my mechanic was able to squeeze me in and diagnosed a bad plug on the HP fuel pump. Replaced with on hand spares and now works great. Good start and the bogging issue appears fully resolved.