No sparking v4

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
i have also used the impact gun on high and some common sense to lock the nut in place.
I would say that using an Impact Gun in place of a Torque Wrench is not Common Sense, especially on a Tapered Fit. Overtightening will Ruin the Flywheel

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would say that using an Impact Gun in place of a Torque Wrench is not Common Sense, especially on a Tapered Fit. Overtightening will Ruin the Flywheel
ha ha , yea , however i have been tightening nuts and bolts for 50 years , so i know common sense when using the rattle gun even on such a technical thing like an on a old Johnno motor flywheel :eek:.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I believe it's okay to use a rattle gun to remove the nut but reinstalling that is one of the nuts that I always use a torque wrench on.

My fingers hand and wrist all work with many many bolts just fine but any major nut or bolt that should be torqued by torque. And the main reason why is because it's easy. Anybody that's in that much of a rush shouldn't be doing mechanical work.

No disrespect intended.

Matt

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Lisle flywheel turner and a 2ft 3/4 inch gas pipe at a hardware store works wonders to create a strong flywheel holding fixture.

The cushion grip creates plenty enough friction to keep it in the pipe.

1715225443385.png

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Any Over-torqueing of a Tapered Fit, will ruin the Flywheel, requiring it be replaced
Using an Impact for Tightening is the sign of a Bad Mechanic

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Any Over-torqueing of a Tapered Fit, will ruin the Flywheel, requiring it be replaced
Using an Impact for Tightening is the sign of a Bad Mechanic
Or a uneducated/obtuse mechanic that will soon be with less "beer tokens" if it's okay to steal someone else's jingle.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
its an old johnson motor flywheel that op is asking how to hold to get it tight. as i posted a screw driver in the flywheel teeth locked against the starter will hold it whilst the 100 foot pound is on the nut whilst it is tightened.
forget the rattle gun it will trash the motor , the wife will run off with the gardener and the dog will crap on the lawn , so best go by 200 buck worth of tools so your life does not end because of a nut that is maybe 10 foot pound either way of correct torque on a1980s motor.

,i just sent about 10 old johno flywheels to scrap from dead motors non of which died from over tightening the flywheel.
you guys over think a bit when it comes to slapping old motors together, these things can withstand backyard mechanics fixing them for years because they are as solid as a rock.

now that said , when i am working on a lets say a 2018 300 + horse yammy or suki motor, then i use a torque wrench on almost every bolt or screw, because that is what is expected from me to ensure the motors are up to """my standard "" when reassembled , also the newer motors are no where near as resilient as the good old beasts the OP has.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Okay..

Now it's your choice from WAY to many opinions from above.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240509-084256.png
    Screenshot_20240509-084256.png
    572.9 KB · Views: 1

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You are not to use "rattle guns " on newer flywheels (1987 and up) especially those with glued in magnets. The vibrations can crack and dislodge them

Beakster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I didn't know that there was such a tool for holding the flywheel, but after you told me I ordered one off Amazon. It will arrive this evening and I'll go and get it sorted. If it fails I'll try a screwdriver between starter and flywheel.

I just calibrated my torque wrench so I should be good to go.