No Spark

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Update:
​I had the tach connected to the coil instead of the module!!!
When I corrected the wiring I now have good spark down to a plug wire!!!
​Now suspect a fuel issue.........going to empty the contents of the fuel filter tomorrow night.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
On the bench? Hook it up with a coil and a battery (use a battery, not a bench power supply). Hook the purple to the battery positive and the coil positive. Hook the black to the battery negative, hook the grey to the coil negative. Have your spark tester set up and tap the white/green to the battery negative a few times. That will generate sparks.

Chris.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Removed fuel filter and replaced. Emptied contents into clear container......pure fuel, no water or debris.
Poured some gas down the carb, tried to start........didn't even kick!!
Going to test compression and timing tomorrow.
Any other ideas?

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Haven't checked timing yet......
Is it possible the engine "jumped time"?
I'm guessing I will see that w/ the timing light.
Thinking I could pull the cap and rotate till the rotor lines up w/ #1 and check the timing marks??

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Checked timing tonight......best I could tell it looks right on at 8* BTDC.
Going to pull a plug or 2 tomorrow night and check the plug and compression.
​Any other ideas?

achris Bondo

Bondo

Staff member
When I corrected the wiring I now have good spark down to a plug wire!!!
​Now suspect a fuel issue.........going to empty the contents of the fuel filter tomorrow night.

Ayuh,.... At the plug too,..?? All 8 of 'em,..??

Ya set the timin',..?? with a light,..?? guess ya got spark there,....

If ya splashed gas down her throat, 'n didn't even get a hiccup, I question if the spark is gettin' to the plugs,..?

8?btc sounds 'bout right,...

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Hi Bondo.....

​Here's a question: if the timing light fires, does that mean the plug is firing? Assuming the light is inductive, it fires on the current in the wire, no spark, no current, no light. Is that a good scenario? So if the plugs were fouled and not firing I wouldn't get a light.....??

This is driving me nuts!!

Bondo

Staff member
Well,.... If the spark plug is fouled, the electricity still runs down the plug wire, 'n the light will still light, yes,....

Once the coil fires, that bolt of electricity is gonna go to ground, Somewhere,....

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Think I found the problem
I pulled a plug last night and it did not spark....checked another plug (not from the engine) and it fired.
​I think I gapped the plugs in the engine too wide......0.040 instead of 0.035.
Now I think the plugs are fouled........
​The pic below is of the plug I pulled from the engine and a new one gapped at 0.035

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Was almost positive I found the problem........the plugs I replaced were fouled and fuel SOAKED.
Well......still doesn't start, even tried starting fluid.
Going to check the new plugs.
Not sure where to go from here.

achris

Engine needs 3 things to run.
1) fuel/air mixture, in the right ratio
2)compression
3)a spark to fire that mixture at the right time.

You have fuel. You have compression. You have spark. Is it at the right time? Check the plug leads for the right order, put a timing light on #1 and check it's firing at (roughly) 8 before TDC.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Hi achris.....
​I did try the timing light. From what I could see it looked like #1 was firing ~8* BTDC.
May try cranking later and adjust the timing slightly while cranking to see if I get anything.

achris

Hi achris.....
​I did try the timing light. From what I could see it looked like #1 was firing ~8* BTDC.
May try cranking later and adjust the timing slightly while cranking to see if I get anything.

Recheck your firing order. Check you are noting the rotor spinning the right way, turn the engine until it is compressing #1 and take the cap off and make sure it's pointing at #1, not #6....

Chris.....

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Hi achris.....
I wouldn't do that, it will just add one more variable. If you're anywhere near 8', you should at least get a kick. If you're getting nothing, you need to be way off, like Chris says. Did you ever verify spark at the plugs? Compression?

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Checked spark at the plug this morning.
Looked ok.
Rotor is turning clockwise as expected.
How off would the timing need to be to not start?

achris

Should start at plus or minus about 10 degrees.