no spark!!

BEKO1212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a 1984 johnson 155.i am getting no spark.i thought i found the problem but still no spark.3 flywheel magnets were loose and broken so i replaced them but still nothing.what else should i check?

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: no spark!!

did you put the flywheel key back in and torque it down to the right spec? if not this can cause your issue.

BEKO1212

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i was told torque should be 140lbs.is that right?

fishfeatures

140 seems ok. When replacing the magnets , I take it they went back to the exact position , because if not it can throw timing off.
How are you checking to see the spark, it shold be with an open air spark tester.
if so then I'd move to troubleshoot the , stator , timer base as per manual?

BEKO1212

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what do you mean by exact position?is it possible to put the magnets on the wrong way ?i followed the instructions that said to use a 7/16 inch bolt as a spacer.it said to let it dry for 24 hours.did i miss something?it did have very little spark in 2 of the spark plugs before i replaced but now nothing. i did use an open air spark tester.

fishfeatures

I'd be slightly skeptical on replacing magnets. I'd rather replace the flywheel itself from fleabay or something. Maybe one of the OMC guru's will step in here with their vast knowledge and help you on this. sorry can't help more.

K.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Did you put the magnets back in the same way with the beveled edges all in the same direction ??

BEKO1212

Petty Officer 2nd Class

uh not sure.i dint remember anything about that in the instructions.is there a way i can check?

BEKO1212

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pull the flywheel and look.

yup i pulled the flywheel off and they are not put in right. well now the question is how do i get them off?
im going to try some heat.i am going to put them in a hot pizza oven and see what happens.does it matter if the beveled edges on the magnets at the bottom or the top?i only have one pointing to the bottom so i figure i should take only that one off and have it facing up like the rest of the magnets.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take only the one off and get it correct with the rest of them.