no spark iginition module shot help

bolo789

Petty Officer 1st Class
greeting, went to the boat to do some early tog fishing. boat would nt start.<br /><br />no spark so i track it down to the iginition module bolted on the riser.<br /><br />my friend has a complete module with the distributor, from his 1983 searay 350 chevy.<br /><br />we took that dist and module ant install it on my 1989 merc 5.7L AND it fired right up and we fish for the whole day with no problem, on a little dieseling which i think is timing because i did not set the timing back as yet.<br /><br />so my ??is, can the 1983 module work with my distributor 1989 5.7L ??. his module is the fat box mines is the flat one. or i have ect put back the right one.<br /><br />thanks much

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: no spark iginition module shot help

Get the right module for your engine. While any of them will let the engine run, it won't run right.

bolo789

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: no spark iginition module shot help

point well taken don i was hopeing to get your input on this also.<br /><br />ok so i will give my friend back his 1983 distributor with the module.<br /><br />re install my distributor and put back the original module. <br /><br />the mechanic in my dock said it dosent make a diffrent as lon as i put the 1983 dist with the 1983 module.<br />but you guys know what ever you all told me to do i will do.<br /><br /><br />thanks much to everyone who help me on this project boat, to get it running all season and this is the first time it fails me. got to love this forum.<br /><br />thanks again