No Spark... Circuit Breaker or Fuse?

Uncle Paul

Seaman Apprentice
Just Bought A 1989 Bayliner Capri with a mercruser 3.0. The engine does not start. It's getting fuel, but I don't think it is getting any spark. I did hear it run just before I bought it. I was wondering if there is a circuit breaker or a fuse to check
before I start with the coil and dist. I am not familiar with this boat. I am also looking for starting instructions for this boat. The throttle control is different than my Crestliner. I cant seem to give it any throttle because the throttle / shifter has to be in neutral for the starter to engage.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: No Spark... Circuit Breaker or Fuse?

Do you have the kill switch lanyard in place?

Depending on what control you have, from neutral you either push a button, or pull the handle out to get to the throttle only for starting and warm up. Post a picture of your control if you can't find it.

I was wondering if there is a circuit breaker or a fuse to check before I start with the coil and dist.

Don't start throwing parts at it unless you know they are bad, unless you have a lot of extra money laying around. Check things do some troubleshooting to find the problem, don't just replace parts.

Uncle Paul

Seaman Apprentice

Where might i find the kill switch Lanyard?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The kill switch lanyard would be the cord with a clip that attaches to your clothing. The end of that lanyard has a plastic clip that is inserted into the kill switch. The kill switch is located either on the control box or is a separate device on the console. Should you get pitched out of the boat or fall over, the lanyard is pulled, the kill switch kills the motor and you don't get run over by your own boat. The engine needs spark and fuel to run. If the shifter is not in neutral the engine won't crank. If the kill switch does not have the clip in place it will crank but won't start. Have you pumped the throttle? Does the choke work? And I guess the obvious is -- is there gas in the tank?

Uncle Paul

Seaman Apprentice

The boat cranks but wont start. I can see gas shooting in the carb when I pump the throttle. The choke is open, but I closed it manually. I cant see any spark when I pull the coil wire out and hold it next to the dist cap..........

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the lanyard is pulled, you won't have spark.
If you want to test the engine, get a jumper wire and go from the battery positive terminal to the small + teriminal on the coil. Then see if it will start, or have spark.
To check for spark, you need to hold the coil wire 3/8 to 1/2" from a clean unpainted ground, not next to the cap.