No Spark at Coil

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer
While failing to start my mercruiser 228, I traced the problem to the coil, so far. There is no spark at the coil, so I tried hooking up a lead from the battery, directly to the coil and still no spark. I converted my points ignition over to electronic so there is a black and red wire coming from the distributor which are hooked up to the - and + of the coil, repectively. there are also two grey wires going to the - side of the coil and a wire coming from the slave solenoid along with a second wire from the wire harness that goes to the + side of the coil.

Any ideas what Im missing? The coil is brand new.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: No Spark at Coil

Do you have a Pertronix conversion?
The first thing I would do is remove the gray wires from the - side of the coil. Then see if you have spark. The purple/yellow wire from the solenoid, only puts full battery power to the coil while cranking. It's possible you could have a problem with your electronic conversion. I have no idea how you check them.

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer
Re: No Spark at Coil

I'll go out and check that but there is a brown/white wire that comes from the wire harness that is not connected to anything.......any idea what brown/white is used for on a 1980 mercruiser 228?

UPDATE: I was searching the service manual and found the wiring diagram that showed the brown/white wire connected to the - post on the distributor. I went out and hooked it up and had spark. Plugged the wire back into the distributor and hit the key. Stumbled for a minute then.......Fired right up.

Thanks so much for all the replies. This forum is worth its weight in GOLD!