no spark-'74 Evinrude 9.9

PW2

Commander
Could someone explain to me how the coils work? I tried new coils off a different compatible motor that I know work, with new plugs.

I have a continuity tester, and after cleaning and resetting the gap in the points, I checked with the tester all manner of things including continuity.

I get "C" to ground on both sets of points all the time, whether the points are open or not. I disconnected the "kill" button with no change.

When I disconnect the connector to the primary wire of the coil of each cylinder, I lose continuity to that cylinder (and set of points).

That's true on both sides, which leads me to believe that is what it is supposed to do. Somehow, it doesn't seem right.

I did find that the points were open wider than they should have been (about .030 instead of the .020) but not sure if that would cause me to lose spark, and the engine not to start.

I have the flywheel off now, but somehow I don't feel confident that I found the problem, and thought I'd ask before I put it all back together and find out it still won't start.

PS. It's a new motor to me. I bought it from a guy for cheap, but I don't know the history of it. It's got good compression (95# both cylinders) and I thoroughly cleaned the carb (although it was the cleanest carb I ever saw taking it apart, so I suspect someone had previously cleaned it) Otherwise it appears generally to be in good shape.

Anyone have ideas on further tests to run on the electrical before I put it back together?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: no spark-'74 Evinrude 9.9

When the points wear and erode, it does limit the power input to the coil.

When the points open the power is instantly cut off to the coil, the voltage then goes to ground from the secondary winding via the spark plug.

Hopefully a guy like FR jumps in, he knows these motors well.

PW2

Commander

I don't think I was very clear in my original post.

This is a '74 Evinrude 9.9. It has a traditional points and magneto ignition. This motor is new to me, and I'm not sure when the last time it ran.

Someone has tried to work on the motor, and I'm not sure what they did exactly, but I know they didn't get it running, as the plug wires were connected to the wrong plug. It looks like they may have replaced the individual coils, and judging by the ease that I got the flywheel off, the flywheel has been removed recently.

When I first tried to start it, after much effort, I got it to try to start. I could not get it up to any consistent RPM, or get it to run more than a second or two. I checked compression and spark. Compression was good (95# on both) No discernible spark on either cylinder (although I must have been getting some, as it did try to start.) I am working alone, and sometimes I have trouble pulling the starter fast enough while checking for spark.

At any rate, I pulled the flywheel off, checked all the connections. Points look ok, but I did clean them, reset the gap to .020 on both, and reset the position of the driver coil.

I'm getting a short somewhere. After resetting everything, I put the flywheel back on, put it in my barrel and tried to start it again. No luck starting it, and after a half dozen or so pulls, I got a whiff of smoke coming I think from under the flywheel. Something is wrong somewhere.

Is there a methodical method to check this ignition system, starting on one end? I have a simple electrical tester. Everything seems to be connected as it should be, as near as I can tell.

iwombat

Captain

First, be sure that your coils are mounted properly. The outside edge should be dead even with the bosses on the mounting plate.

Make sure your points are clean - take a point file and dress them.

If both sides of the points read grounded you've either got a dead-short to ground via a wire, a bad condenser, or a bad coil.

PW2

Commander

First, be sure that your coils are mounted properly. The outside edge should be dead even with the bosses on the mounting plate.

Make sure your points are clean - take a point file and dress them.

If both sides of the points read grounded you've either got a dead-short to ground via a wire, a bad condenser, or a bad coil.

I'm assuming you mean the driver coil under the flywheel. Yes, I've adjusted it flush with the bosses. I've got new points and condensers coming.

Is there a way to check the coil?

freddyray21

Commander

the points or the condenser could be shorted to ground.