No Spark (1996 25hp Evinrude 3 cyl )

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class
i tried starting this motor without the controls hooked up. It doesn't spark on all 3 cylinders. It is wiring for remote start/systems check. I am just wondering if i do indeed need to hook it up to controls or is there a failed electrical component?

Hammer66

Cadet
Re: No Spark (1996 25hp Evinrude 3 cyl )

Does it run with the controls connected? I am unsure of the nature of your question.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

No cylinders spark? Which ones have spark, or not?

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does it run with the controls connected? I am unsure of the nature of your question.

see i don't have the controls. i was turning the motor with a drill on the crankshaft nut. I would assume it would run with the controls disconnected, but i am going to ask anyways. There is no spark on all three cylinders.

hidef

Lieutenant

I believe you need the controls hooked up or she won't start. Also you need to have a battery hooked up or you risk blowing the rectifier and you don't want to do that. The parts for the 25/35 triples are not cheap. Also if the oil tank and mixing chamber has not been removed get rid of it. The OMS oiling system was the weak point on these outboards mix you fuel 50:1.

Highly recommend you ger the factory service manual for your outboard.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/parts.php#manuals

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe you need the controls hooked up or she won't start. Also you need to have a battery hooked up or you risk blowing the rectifier and you don't want to do that. The parts for the 25/35 triples are not cheap. Also if the oil tank and mixing chamber has not been removed get rid of it. The OMS oiling system was the weak point on these outboards mix you fuel 50:1.

Highly recommend you ger the factory service manual for your outboard.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/parts.php#manuals

thanks for the reply. i'm hesitant to believe because i don't see where the shorted circuit would be. i guess i'll know for sure once i get the controls for it. i have already removed the oil resevoir and mixing unit too.