No shine. What should I use to restore it?

cclemon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently purchased a 1990 Bayliner Capri. Please don’t be mad. I know it is a the Kia of boats. I would like to restore the shine. The boat is white and I don’t think it had a clear coat over the white. It is not cloudy or flaking. It is just dull. I use a little Mcquire’s car cleaner+wax in one area and it helped a little, but it doesn’t really shine. Would you suggest rubbing compound. How about just dry buff it and shoot some clear over it. Thanks for your suggestions.

crab bait

Captain
Re: No shine. What should I use to restore it?

good idea , cause you can't polish up a turd.

crab bait

Captain

just kiddin' .. just had to go there.. the ultimite one liner

wrestler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know mine was oxidized pretty bad and it worked to use rubbing compound, then polishing compound, then wax. It took quite a bit of work, but it eventually got the shine back, now i just have to wax it once in a while to keep it looking that way.<br /><br />Steve

cclemon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Crab Bait <br /><br />It's OK it made me laugh. What is life if you can't laugh. I am just thankful there are people like you that help so many of us.

BobZ

Cadet

Oil Slick,<br /><br />Try something like Finesse It II by 3M. It is a polish rather than a compound. Apply it with an electric buffer with a yellow buffing pad. This is the type of right angle buffer you would see in an auto body shop. The maximum RPM recommended is 2,500. You may be able to rent one. Follow the directions on the container. I believe a good buffing machine and a polish, which is less agressive than a compound, if the way to go if you don't have extreme oxidation.<br /><br />I just did a 1988 Grady and it looks like new. After the buffing I put on a coat of MacGuires Flagship wax by hand. I'm very pleased with the results. I don't think it looked better when new.

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

oil slick <br />My son cleans my boat :D and he's tried just about everything to get back that shiny look. A couple of weeks ago he used Poly Glow and the boat looks better than new. He picked up a kit at Boat Owners Warehouse. Give it a try.

cclemon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys,

crab bait

Captain

YOUR A GOOD SPORT , SLICK.. by-the-way, fellas, good info !!

2052rider

Cadet

why do they say a 1990 bayliner capri is the kia of boats

jus curious

i just bought a 1992 capri cuddy

mike176

Petty Officer 1st Class

why do they say a 1990 bayliner capri is the kia of boats

jus curious

i just bought a 1992 capri cuddy

Because there are bad at being boats and great at being man made reefs
but seriusly in that era bayliner was the cheapest intrylevel boat on the market, poor construction. Nowadays they are being made much better, but the old ones are a waste of money and should be burned on sight. Also they get a bad rep because alot of first time boater who did not understand or care about being good boaters would buy them since they where cheap off the showroom floor.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Because there bad at being boats and great at being man made reefs

Man, no matter which boating forum I'm on Bayliners are taking one liners most, if not all, of the time. Did they build some shoddy boats? Back in the 80's you could say and quality has improved quite a bit since then. The bill fit for people entering the sport and if it fits the needs of a boater who's to talk. Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a Bayliner defense thread but I see a lot more happy Bayliner owners than bashers. I own a 90' Four Winns and because of it's name I don't get into my boat brand is better than yours thing. Oh well.

rndn

Commander

A good polishing compound and lot's and lot's of elbow grease.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just polished up my 1987 Rinker with TR-3 resin glaze from 3m (comes in a metal can blue & silver),,, it a all in one product, removes oxidation, cleans & shines, polishes real good. i like the results..

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bayliners are not bad if ya take care of them..i see alot of them in Colorado & Wyoming. just like most boats the smaller ones are best for lakes & rivers..

thunder219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a 88 bayliner capri that sat outside without a cover and full of leaves and water. We replaced the floor and rebuilt the omc outdrive and had a blast on it for a year. Thanks to this site I started looking closer and found the stinger split and the boat is now parked again. It was never in salt water but it could not have been treated any worse than it was. A buddy of mine works at a body shop and thought he would buff it out. It actually looked almost new but we never kept up on it after that so the shine lasted a couple of months and was back to the dull finish.
The guy we bought this of off has 3 or 4 boats and treats them all the same. It blows my mind that someone can drop their boat off at the lake, tie it up to the dock and let it beat on it w/o bumpers or covered up all summer.Since then we have went through a couple more boats and have learned alot from the old bayliner on how to care and keep on on it. Sure makes it easier to spend a little time cleaning than letting it get out of control and trying to get it cleaned up.

Bigprairie1

Commander

...I'm with wrestler20 and the elbow grease gang. I've got a 90 capri and mine had some fade on it as well. I used rubbing/polishing compound on it and then some high end marine wax...it made a big difference. I did it over a few nights because it was a lot of work. Don't go the spray on, mop and glo', miracle product approach. It will last for about 2-3 days then you will probably have to redo it.
As for Bayliners...the old ones (I heard 70's-early 80's) had a bad rap. However, I have yet to actually meet someone (down on them) who was there to see them sink. Always get the old 'a friend of my neighbours had one' routine about them....hmmm.
Anyhow, pick one of the boat forums by make. If that was the only forum on this site...and you came across it you would think that particular boat (or motor) was complete crap.
However I assume the newer boats are made far better than the older boats....just like the newer vehicles these days.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man, no matter which boating forum I'm on Bayliners are taking one liners most, if not all, of the time. Did they build some shoddy boats? Back in the 80's you could say and quality has improved quite a bit since then. The bill fit for people entering the sport and if it fits the needs of a boater who's to talk. Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a Bayliner defense thread but I see a lot more happy Bayliner owners than bashers. I own a 90' Four Winns and because of it's name I don't get into my boat brand is better than yours thing. Oh well.

Sorry, while on my Bayliner soapbox I never added anything to the subject of this thread. Here we go and trust me it's all bicep work.

1.1000 grit sandpaper for really oxidized portions of the boat
2. follow up with rubbing compound or polishing compound depending on how bad the given area is
3. wax on and wax off. I actually have 3 coats of wax on mine before spring splash. I use Macquiers(sp) and it seems to hold for a couple of months while she is in the sun on the mooring. Come the end of September the process begins anew. I can't a wax that will seal it that well but I've heard great things about Collonite or 3M products. I'm on the wax is wax for the most part.

She looks pretty when I'm done in the fall and being put to bed for winter.

Important note: while using sandpaper, try the compounds first. Rule being, lightest abrasive first then keep going up the ladder to harder stuff. And, always try whatever your using on an unseen spot so you get an idea how it will work and how hard you should apply it.