no power to solenoid!!

BEKO1212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1984 johnson 155.i turn the ignition and starter does not turn.i just changed the starter solenoid thinking that was the problem.i connected two wires to the solenoid to a push button and it starts that way but i want to start it from the ignition.if i push the key in the primer solenoid works so i assume there is power at the ignition.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
Re: no power to solenoid!!

I wonder if it could be the neutral start switch acting up?

BEKO1212

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i looked for the safety switch but didnt see anything. i did see a black wire coming from behind the shifter that connected to a yellow wire with a red stripe.i followed the wire to the big plug at the motor and tested it with a light and it worked.and i did put the test light to the solenoid to the positive and negative that tested fineso i guess i do have power to the solenoid..what else should i look for?

BEKO1212

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i forgot to add in that i dont have a lanyard and i dont even see where one will go.not sure if this matters but i figured ill add it in

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Your starter solenoid has two large posts, the battery cable goes to one and should have battery voltage to it. The other large post should go to the starter itself and will transfer battery voltage to the starter when the solenoid engerizes. There are two small posts on the solenoid, one small post goes to ground, either directly or through a saftey switch. The other post has a wire from the ignition switch and is energized when the key is turned to the start position. Use a volt meter or test light to check the system.