No power at dash

skeat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi
I have a 2009 sea ray 185 that has no power to the dash. There is power to the engine, 3.0 merc i/o. The 90 amp fuse and 50 amp breaker are good. There is power on the orange alternator wire. 12.6v. The trim works but nothing else. Sea Ray says there is a 20 amp fuse in the line to the dash, I’ve pulled stuff apart but I can’t find it. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Being a 2009 it could be a breaker or fuse and if it's a inline fuse then it's behind the dash. Follow the Red/Purple wire on the key switch

skeat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had pulled the dash and didn’t see any inline fuse on the ign switch or otherwise. There is no power to the fuse board. I’m still digging

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Look back at the motor to make sure the 50 amp breaker isn't tripped

dubs283

Vice Admiral
There is no power to the fuse board.

Sounds like you're missing either a ground or positive lead at the battery.

Being a sea ray there's a possibility there's a breaker in line to the dash/fuse panel power

If all is connected and no breaker present/breaker okay I'd check the voltage at both sides of the 50 Amp breaker on the motor, seen em fail without being tripped

skeat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like you're missing either a ground or positive lead at the battery.

Being a sea ray there's a possibility there's a breaker in line to the dash/fuse panel power

If all is connected and no breaker present/breaker okay I'd check the voltage at both sides of the 50 Amp breaker on the motor, seen em fail without being tripped
I have power through the 90 amp fuse, on both sides of the 50 amp breaker and on the orange lead off of the alternator. Found a 5 and 15 amp fuse (for other systems) but both were good. I haven't been able to locate the elusive 20 amp fuse which is supposed to be inline for the dash

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I haven't been able to locate the elusive 20 amp fuse which is supposed to be inline for the dash

Might not matter at this point. You say the fuse panel isn't receiving 12 + volts?

If nothing at the dash works the issue is power supply to the dash. Loose/missing connection from the motor to the helm

Is the lanyard switch on?

skeat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found it. There is an additional 50 amp breaker behind the battery (similar to the one on the top of the engine) that supplied the dash. No mention of that in the owners manual??

alldodge

Staff member
I found it. There is an additional 50 amp breaker behind the battery (similar to the one on the top of the engine) that supplied the dash. No mention of that in the owners manual??
Great and thanks for the update

skeat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes. I figure my frustration may help others…. And an expensive tow back to the dock!!