no needle valve bearings on 1971 125 johnson

brickster

Seaman
Doing a carb rebuild on a 1971 125 johnson. When i removed the needle valves I noticed there were no plastic needle valve bearings at the tip of the needle valves. Is it possible they are still stuck in the seating area of the carb or is it possible that they were not used . carb schematic only shows a plastic bearing on the tip of the needle and a retainer at the adjustment end. Difficult to get a good visual inside of the seating area. Thank you for any help.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Looks like the slow speed needle uses a needle valve bearing and retainer. And it wouldn't be surprising if when you removed the needle itself that both those parts are still in side. If you can't remove them easily, the only way I see that you could get them out is if you removed the lead shot, idem #3 on the carb break down, and use some low pressure air to pop those parts out. It also looks like only one side uses the retainer. However, if you can use some carb cleaner (if it doesn't effect the retainer or bearing), to clean them, That would be a quicker repair... JMHO!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I used to take a SMALL fish hook, straighten it out and get in there and "fish" them out.