No cooling water

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was getting my boat ready for the first time this year and replaced all the plugs and put back on all the hoses. Put on the "mickey mouse ears" and started the motor. No water coming out the exhaust. I pulled the hose off of the inlet side of the water pump and there wasn't any water coming in the hose. Still had the water running into the lower unit. It worked fine when I winterized it last year.

I have an 1989 Arriva 454 with a bravoI drive.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: No cooling water

Ayuh,.... Is the drive Down,..?? Back-flush it from that hose to the drive,...

boat1010

Yes the drive is down. I will try back flushing it. Is there a pump in the lower unit? Thanks Bond-o..

Moose truck

Seaman Apprentice

Yes the drive is down. I will try back flushing it. Is there a pump in the lower unit? Thanks Bond-o..

Bravo, no pump in stern drive. Raw water pump is belt driven on starboard side of engine.

boat1010

I just wasn't sure if there was something I was missing why I wasn't getting water to the raw water pump. I have had this boat 12 years and have never had this problem. The impeller in the raw pump is Ok I think. I just am not getting water to the pump. With the mouse ears on and I remove the hose from the raw water pump there is no water coming in the hose. I haven't had the time to back flush it like Bond-O suggested. I am hoping to do that this evening. Thanks for all the replies.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I just wasn't sure if there was something I was missing why I wasn't getting water to the raw water pump. I have had this boat 12 years and have never had this problem. The impeller in the raw pump is Ok I think. I just am not getting water to the pump. With the mouse ears on and I remove the hose from the raw water pump there is no water coming in the hose. I haven't had the time to back flush it like Bond-O suggested. I am hoping to do that this evening. Thanks for all the replies.

if the pump ran without water going to it, the impeller is toast. When was the last time the impeller was changed? they last about 5 years max in fresh water and about 2-years in salt........ unless you run them dry, then they last about 10-15 seconds.

boat1010

It's only been two years since I replaced the impeller. I just ran it for about 30 seconds or so. long enough to see there was no water coming out the exhaust. I felt the pump right after I shut it down and it wasn't even warm. I guess I will try to back flush it and if that doesn't work I will replace the impeller. Thanks.

04fxdwgi

My 454 w/ Bravo1 did same thing. If a cheaper after market pump or impeller are used, sometimes they fail to pull a suction properly. Also, if there is any wear at all on the pump housing / impeller, the same can happen. When I used Mercruiser parts, the problem also went away, for the most part.

Since having had 2 plastic pump bodies crack and leak on my setup, I have since converted mine to a Hardin Marine all stainless steel pump.

2013-06-12_062956.jpg

Stainless Steel "Lifetime" Sea Pump Overhaul Kit - Hardin Marine

This thing is awsome. The old plastic pumps, once flow was established, seemed to run fine on the hose, but this beauty of a pump actually sucks the old hose down telling me it is pumping far better by pulling more water through the hose than the plastic ones did. I had to get a bigger hose to run it with the volume this pump wants, even at just over idle. Another plus is when, using the plastic pumps, when I came off a full power run, my engine temp would climb pretty quick then gradually come down. With this pump, that doesn't happen to any where the extent it did before.

Figuring in the economics of it, this pump cost the same as 3 or 4 plastic ones, BUT should last a lifetime. How many plastic bodies will it eliminate replacing, paying for itself over time and actually saving money. Especially for me, since I normally replace the impeller every year and the body when it needs it, which seemed to be every one or two years. More often if it cracked or ran w/o water for what ever reason. Plastic bags kill em in seconds, I know. The bags will still kill my impeller, but this S/S body will survive the incident where the plastic ones will blister and burn up the interior sealing surface of the pump body next to the inlet / outlet connections. Another plus... It uses std Mercruiser impeller.

Only minor problem I had with installing it, the hose connections extend a little further out, causing the inlet hose to hit the stbd motor mount. Cured that by using the 90 degree S/S fitting on the inlet side of the pump and cutting the 90 degree bend off the hose and clamping it on straight to the fitting. Nice clean install.