Nissan NS8b gving me fits

dcdunbar

Cadet
I love this engine...

However, I have cleaned the carb three times, new fuel twice, new fuel filter, new plugs and same problem. I think I'm down to the fuel diaphram but not sure....

The engine starts ok- not as good as it used to before all this happened. But, now everytime I run it for about 20 15 minutes it dies. Can be running along at 1/2 throttle and then nothing. I can usually start it but it then will only run at a high rpm. If I pull the choke out it seems to run better after it dies but still this has got to be fuel related right? Not sure where to turn on this. I clean the carb again- soak for 3 hrs or overnight in carb cleaner and then blow out w. air compressor. I am looking for suggestions on this one though. BTW, what is the compression supposed to be on these engines- i could check that but dont necessarily think that it is the problem.

Many thanks
dave

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Nissan NS8b gving me fits

How old or new is that engine ? When engine is about to die after 15-20 min run, prime fuel bulb again, if engine catches rpm, its a fuel pump related issue, usually bad diaphragams. Check condition/replace. Also could have faulty connector o'rings, letting air in and engine missing.

Depending on it's age, could be a faulty worn, dried up head gasket, idles good, when giving juice to engine problems starts. Gasket has lost it's perfect seal, worst at medium to full wot.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Nissan NS8b gving me fits

Could also be a thermally-reacting ignition part... actually could be almost anything. You must diagnose, rather than guess. If priming the bulb helps, it's a lack of fuel delivery, which is likely a pump issue.