nissan have alternator??

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2005 Nissan 4-stroke, pull-start, 9.8. On the electric start version of this same motor, there is an alternator that is used to charge the starting battery. Does that same alternator exist in the pull-start model? If so, is there any way I could use that to charge my trolling motor battery? Or could I add an alternator to my pull-start motor?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: nissan have alternator??

You could charge whatever 12 v bat you need to, Tohatsu models comes with the alternator already set in upper flywheel, you must only buy the rectifier to charge bats properly, don't know about 4 strokes as we only work with new 2 strokes versions, so assume so. TG or Paul will have the correct answer.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral

Assuming you have an NSF9.8A2 or A3. In order to charge, you need an alternator and a rectifier. An A3 may already have an alternator, so in that case, you would just add the rectifier.
3V2061280M ALTERNATOR KIT F8A2/9.8A2 $52.90
3V2761600M RECTIFIER KIT F8A2-3/9.8A2-3 $88.47

John_S

Rear Admiral

If so, is there any way I could use that to charge my trolling motor battery?

The output is very little and will not keep up to any typical trolling motor use. You will need to still make sure it is fully charged at the end of the day. Also, probably not regulated. Voltages above 14V can reduce the life of the battery.

pvanv

Admiral

The output is very little and will not keep up to any typical trolling motor use. You will need to still make sure it is fully charged at the end of the day. Also, probably not regulated. Voltages above 14V can reduce the life of the battery.

The output exceeds 6 amps at mid-throttle, and the rectifier is fully regulated.

No, it won't recharge a fully discharged 100AH battery in a reasonable amount of time, but it will top it up very well.

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

is it difficult to install

pvanv

Admiral

Get the Factory service manual, and use that as a guide. Part# 003N210561, $40.00. You need to pull the flywheel, bolt-in the alternator coil assembly (2 coils, 2 bolts each), and reinstall the flywheel. Then bolt on the rectifier/regulator (one bolt), and finally thread the wiring through the cowl. You will need a 3-bolt puller (such as a harmonic balancer or steering wheel puller -- with a fairly small bolt pattern) to get the flywheel off -- don't use a hook-type puller, or the flywheel will be damaged.