Nissan 40 hp & 5 hp

bertschb

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Nissan 40 hp & 5 hp

I'll be visiting him next week once my water pump kit arrives.

bertschb

Seaman Apprentice

Art-<br /><br />Just got my Tohatsu M50D back from Mark's Merc here in Salem, OR. Mark did a great job for a very reasonable fee. I highly recommend him.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ha! It turns out that Mark's Merc's is owned by Mark Allen, formerly of Allen Marine. He and his brother have worked on my motors for years but he doesn't have access to a lot of parts. I broke a fuel fitting on my Nissan 5 and he says that he thinks that he can replace it with a used Mercury fitting that he has around. Other than common things like water pumps, Nissan parts are very difficult to come by around here.<br /><br />I understand that they make good cars, though.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Art B,<br /><br />I found two Nissan/Tohatsu dealers around 30 miles from you. Are they unwilling to stock parts or order them in for people? If so, let me know and I'll see what needs to be done to make them more proactive with customer service.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Elvin. Mark Allen (see above) did a good (and reasonable) job on my Nissans. I needed one part that he was able to scavenge off of an old Mercury. Several indicated Nissan sevice facilities that I contacted (Salem, Corvallis, Tigard) all indicated that they had a problem getting parts. For now, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

bertschb

Seaman Apprentice

I live in Salem, Oregon (pop. 150,000) and the closest dealer I could find that would work on my Tohatsu was in Portland. The Tohatsu web site is very much out of date. I contacted all the dealers that were listed in my area and all of them said they no longer work on Tohatsu motors.<br /><br />When the time comes to get a new motor it won't be a Tohatsu simply because there is no service for them around here. It's a shame because they seem to be nice motors.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

There is no problem getting parts for Nissan or Tohatsu in the U.S. You just have to contact a Nissan/Tohatsu dealer to get them. Dealers for one brand can not buy parts for another brand from the other manufacturer. Look...if you went to a Ford dealer and asked for parts for a Toyota they would tell you they couldn't get parts for it either. I had a man walk in yesterday and tell me he was glad he "found" us because his servicing dealer had been unable to get a waterpump kit for him for months. I asked him where he lived. He said about 10 miles from here. I asked him the name of the servicing dealer. He told me...and it was a Suzuki dealer. I guess the point of this is that you can not expect to get parts for something from people who do not sell parts for that something. <br /><br />As to dealers that are listed on the web site that say they will no longer work on Tohatsu's....Please forward their names to me so that they can be removed. Also, if you have the names of the people at those dealerships that blew you off I would like those as well.<br /><br />Thanks,

bertschb

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I just went to the Tohatsu web site and the dealers that I recall being listed for my city (Salem, OR) are no longer listed. I sure hope I wasn't imagining things.<br /><br />I'm just glad we have the one guy here in town (Mark at Mark Merc's) who will work on the Tohatsu as long as you bring him the parts. He's a great guy.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Bertschb,<br /><br />You weren't imagining things...The list was updated in December and I would imagine that your local deadwood dealers were removed then.