nightmare on the 4th! 3.0 mercruiser

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, 3.0L mercruiser, alpha 1 generation. Got it out to the no wake bouy, felt a pop, like it came out of gear at low rpm, but right after that, lifter noise bad, pulled the dipstick, Chocolate Milk, paddled back, took the exhaust manifold off, looked dry where it should be dry, and wet where it should be wet, pulled the valve body assm, had a blow out in head gasket between #1 and #2 piston, and all 4 had water in them but i figured it was spill over from taking off the valve body?? Drained the oil and the water in the block seemed to hold the same level, so question, can i be getting water in my oil from the small blow out between piston 1&2? thanks in advance.

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: nightmare on the 4th! 3.0 mercruiser

if gasket is blown out between cylinders and a water jacket, yes. also if head cracked around a water jacket.

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Theres no water jacket there, its dead middle of#1 and 2 piston thinest part of gasket. I am stumped where its getting in, but its alot fast.

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class

was there water in cylinders, or just oil?

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there was fresh water in all 4 cylinders, but never checked via sparkplug hole before cracking the head... hindsight is 20/20

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class

you say FRESHWATER was in all 4. does this mean you have a closed cooling system, or just that there was water in cylinders? water in all 4, and oil, i'd think cracked block. from your side tho, fingers crossed i'm wrong.

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no closed cooling, and yes there was only water in the tops of all 4 cylinders, but pretty sure it was spill over from cracking open the valve assembly...no? and the oil was mixed with water, im thinking cracked block 2. bummer.

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class

it is a bit harder to determine since motor was pulled apart before checking a few things. as you said, hindsight 20/20. double check manifold tho, looking for cracks on bottom side, anywhere. these do crack other places besides riser mount.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

pretty sure it was spill over from cracking open the valve assembly...no?

What the heck is a valve body? Never heard that term before???

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry if my teriminology and spelling arent perfect but you could at least give me a little oracle help if your gonna bag on me like that and I feel with all your experience you know exactly what im talking about, so thanks for making me feel a little more stupid!:(

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the exhaust portions of all exhaust "outlets" were dry as a bone as was the the top of the combustion chamber/valves, and since i limped in, with my limited experience, im pretty sure i wans't running on the pure water i found in the cylinders, it would start up no problem before tear down, just with a horriable rod knock, ive read here that if you flush and fix your problem, and didnt run long or hard after hearing it, its not hopeless that it will go away, is this true??

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

droptheline; i don't think don was ragging on you. i'm a 30 year mechanic and i don't really know what your talking about either.
your taking this wrong we want to help you just dont understand your terminology

xltier

Chief Petty Officer

i did 2 3.0 head gaskets this week and neither one had water in the cylinders when i disaasembled them.was the piece og gasket still there or was it missing altogether.maybe you took on water thru the manifold,which doesnt compress,and blew out the gasket.both 3.0 i did were blown between #2 and 3.quite common around here.as far as the rap goes,thats questionable.to many variables.

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

a valve assembly to me is the head to you i guess, never the less, i have some pretty good detonation marks on the pistons and can c the ring in 1 spot, i think maybe this motor doesn't owe me anything at this point, and should just drop in something a little healthier. thanks for all the help you guys.

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

p.s. engines dont start with pure water in the combustion chamber, so either my lake water is really contaminated with fuel, or it was not there before tear down, it was spill over from the "head" draining when cracked open 100%.

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class

drop, a 3.0L should be easy enough to find, even if in a donor boat. compression check, leak down check if possible, check all fluids, most importantly hear it run first. -OR- send your in for rebuild. good luck.