Nicks in prop, how big?

jadssh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello all, I have a 92 90 hp Johnson with I think the stock prop on it. It has some nicks on the blades. Some of the nicks are pretty big, about 1/8 to 3/16. I'm not sure how long I should go with this prop. I can't feel any effects on perfromance, but I don't want a blade to break up either.

Do you Guy's/Gal's think I should switch it out or not. Thanks for the help.

John

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Nicks in prop, how big?

Without pictures, your explanation will have to suffice for our answers.

My opinion.... don't worry about it until you see the rpm increase too much and your speed drop off; a severely damaged blade will cause rotation to be out of balance and you'll feel the vibration. I do not think you will have a blade brake apart.

My $.02

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

I say change it. If you don't have a spare, buy another and store this one on board as a get-me-home spare. If you already have a spare, then send this one out to a prop shop and give them $70-ish (assuming aluminum...more $$ if stainless) to rebuild it and balance it just like new. I consider such a thing to be normal maintenance and I have mine rebuilt nearly annually, or at least every other year.

Those nicks are costing you some performance and some extra fuel, and it is creating subtle vibrations that can accellerate wear. Just because you just don't feel it doesn't mean it's not happening...

Now you have $.04 to chew on...

jadssh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks robbabob and craze1cars, I looked more closely at it today and it has nicks on all three blades. I checked for numbers on it and could not find anything at all on the prop. Where would the information be on the prop? I don't have a spare, so it might be a good idea to have it changed out and keep this one for a spare.

I'm sure this is the stock prop that came with the motor. Do you all recommend that If I change the prop out, put the same oen back on? Thanks for all the help guy's. John

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks robbabob and craze1cars, I looked more closely at it today and it has nicks on all three blades. I checked for numbers on it and could not find anything at all on the prop. Where would the information be on the prop? I don't have a spare, so it might be a good idea to have it changed out and keep this one for a spare.

I'm sure this is the stock prop that came with the motor. Do you all recommend that If I change the prop out, put the same oen back on? Thanks for all the help guy's. John

Sorry for the delay in replying... been out of town :)

Look at the end of the prop, around the prop nut, there will be a set of numbers identifying diameter X pitch (example: 14.25 X 21).

jadssh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the reply robbabob. I did pull the prop off and found the numbers. I am headed to the prop shop tomorrow and looking at the michigan wheel prop. From the information I was able to find, it seems like a pretty good prop. John