NFB Steering ...

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer
Had a rotary NFB steering recently installed. It's tight to the point of needing two hands on occasion to turn it, but the mech says that's because it's NFB. I always thought NFB came from a "clutch", not compression. Any thoughts? :(

flashback

Captain
Re: NFB Steering ...

Im a dumb georgia boy !! what the heck is nfb steering???

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

There's something awry, something kinked or such. You should be able to steer NFB with one finger. You don't want to be messing about with the steering not working properly. Chief

Realgun

Commander

There has to be some binding as the new steering should work like normal. You will not be able to move the motor by pushing on it.<br /><br />I got me a Uflex rack with NFB the only problem I have is I gotta use the wheel to turn it if I need to move the motor. Otherwise it does not move at all. :)

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

Old topic - found it in a search.<br /><br />However, I am having the same trouble with my no-feedback steering. It is extremely tight, takes almost two hands.<br /><br />I installed it yesterday. The cable and helm is located in the exact same spot as the previous system was (it retrofits into the regular steering hole locations).<br /><br />If the steering is installed identically, how can it be tighter? Is it because it is brand new and needs to be 'worn in'?<br /><br />I might have tightened the steering rod bolts a bit too much on the engine, I'll check that later. Otherwise, everything else is the same - so it should steer the same, just without feedback.<br /><br />Thanks<br />SQ

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

Here's a response I got from Teleflex:<br /><br />-----Original Message-----<br />From: TFX TechSupport [mailto:tfxtechsupport@tfxmarine.com]<br />Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 1:42 PM<br />To: Shawn Queeney<br />Subject: Re: NFB Safe-T II Question<br /><br /><br />Yes it will be tighter, the NFB option has a clutch to fight the engine <br />torque, so it will take about 5 lbs of pressure to actually turn the wheel<br />however when you are going straight you do not have to fight the wheel..<br />Thanks<br />Anita<br />TFX Tech Suport

red cobia 17'

Seaman

try looking on this forum for a topic HARD TO STEER.I had problems with my steering being too hard to steer also.I didn't have a nfb steering on my boat but maybe some of the responces I got will help you.