Newbie with Question about '92 Force 120hp

MikeyB3649

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone!

First off, let me start by saying I'm very new to boating. I recently inherited a 1992 Bayliner Capri 1800 BR from my uncle and am in the process of getting it water worthy, since it's been sitting for the last 3 years. While performing the "Awaking a Sleeping Outboard" post, I came across a number of issues. I have since done my research on this forum and feel that I have a good grasp on what's going on and how to fix these issues, but still felt it pertinent to run it by the "pros" for peace of mind.

• I can't get the engine to turn over at starting speed with the spark plugs installed. I know for a fact that I have a dead battery, so I by passed it and used my charger in the "12v Start" setting with the cables hooked directly to the starter itself. When I did this with the plugs installed, the starter engages and turns the engine very slowly. I removed the spark plugs and the engine rotates at starting speeds with no issue. This leads me to believe that the starter is on its way out and no longer has the power to fight the compression. One concern I have, however, is that the charger isn't putting enough amps and is in essence acting like a dead battery. I'm not sure what the output rating of the charger is though. So my plan is to pull my car up alongside the engine tonight and use my car battery to jump the engine and see if it can turn it over with plugs installed. If it does start, I'll just get a new battery and hopefully be done with that issue. If it still rotates slowly, I plan to open the starter and inspect the components and rebuild if necessary.

Does this sound like a logical plan of attack? Any other suggestions or advice that I have not considered? What should I look for specifically when inspecting the starter? What should I replace inside the starter?

• When rotating the engine after the plugs had been removed, I had attempted to check for a trigger signal at the coils to ensure that they were firing but got no reading. I reinstalled a spark plug and used a spark plug test light and the bulb inside never lit up. From what I've been able to ascertain by reading this forum, it is most likely the stator. I would like to take further reading at different ignition system components to verify this before making a very costly purchase but am still waiting for my engine manual to arrive. Does anyone have a copy of the electrical diagrams for this engine at the very least a troubleshooting guide tailored to this specific engine?

I realize that is a very long post and thank you to all those who stuck with it to the end. I tried to do as much research as possible so I didn't come off as too much of a newbie, but alas, I am. :D

Thanks in advance to all those who offer advice.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Newbie with Question about '92 Force 120hp

Welcome to iboats.

I doubt your charger can provide the power needed, acting like a dead battery.

In stead of jumping it with the car battery, actually remove the dead boat battery and install a good battery.
Remember, you must ALWAYS have a battery connected to the boat when running, or you will destroy the ignition.
Also, if you connect the battery backwards, even for a second, you will destroy the rectifier.

I'll have to let someone else tackle the ignition questions, as I don't have the manuals with me.

MikeyB3649

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you roscoe.

If I used the car battery for trials, that should be ok, right? I'll actually pull it from the car and install it in the boat for the duration of my tests. As far as hooking the battery up backwards, I'm all too familiar with this. I used to be an aircraft electrician in the Air Force and one of the troops I was training decided to take it upon himself to re-pin the battery connector on one of the F-16 we were repairing and test it before anyone could inspect his work. As soon as he applied power, it fried several $100K+ components in the brief time it took the reverse polarity protection circuits in the distribution panels to activate. Fixing it was the easy part. Determining the extent of the damage took several weeks of troubleshooting and 3 functional check flights. The hardest part was standing in front of our squadron commander explaining the $1M parts request. :eek: As for my trainee, I can't say I was surprised when it came time for his re-enlistment and he was denied. :rolleyes:

pelletman

Cadet

Newbie -

I had the same problem with my '90 120. However, the prior owner
also thought that it was a starter problem. Turned out it was not.
After buying a new starter for about $60, and a new battery, the manual
suggested testing the voltage drop across the starter solenoid. An indication of 2.4 v max or the solenoid should be replaced. Replacing the solenoid, and backing off of the timing advance slightly, and my 120 kicked
over very quickly. There really isn't anything you can replace in the starter other than brushes and a spring - but for $60, why bother.

MikeyB3649

Seaman Apprentice

Where did you find the starter for $60? I've found it on boats.net for nearly $200.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer

My 125 did the same thing, crank over very slow with the plugs in, would work great w/o plugs....

took the old battery out put a new one in, fixed the problem, worked great ever since.

MikeyB3649

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Newbie. I'm going to hold off on the starting issue for now. I installed the heli-coil on the spark plug and now need to wait for a head gasket. I'll keep everyone up to date once I try the battery. Hopefully it's just a dead battery/not enough amps from charger causing the no spark issue as well.

MikeyB3649

Seaman Apprentice

Just incase somebody reads this post looking for answers years down the line, I thought I'd post and update to my issue. A new battery fixed the slow rotation. Once that was solved though, I got no spark. I kept troubleshooting and I found the stator bad. Replaced that and it starts just fine. Now it's overheating. I found the gear case seal (lower portion of the water pump housing) cracked so I'm replacing that along with the impeller and thermostat. I'll update everyone on issue that once I have results.