Newbie Question. 1998 Bayliner Ciera Express 2252 Seaworthy?

dragos28

Seaman
Hi there, I currently have a small SeaRay 180 that we've used for playing on the lakes around where I live (So Cal)
However that is no longer fun, I'd like to do some off shore fishing.
I've taken my searay out once from the marina of Santa Monica. It was a very nice day, so no waves but I could tell that I have no business being a few miles off shore with my current boat.

I've found a guy who would be interested in trading his 98 Bayliner 2252 for my sea ray.

Would the bayliner be safe for 4~10 miles off shore? obviously i would check the buoy reports and make sure the conditions are safe.

I've read enough to know that the bayliner is not the rolls royce but rather the kia of the water, so i'm not interested in hearing about its quality, Just some honest feedback on if this boat will serve me to safely go out on the water and catch some fish with my kids.

Thanks!

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
IMHO that is the time frame that Bayliner started getting their act together and building decent boats. If it is structurally sound, I see no reason to not take it off shore as long as you have the proper radios, gps, maps, etc.

southkogs

Staff member
No such delineation ... it's just a question of if the boat is suited for the water you're going to be in.

I don't know the 22' Bayliner or the Pacific well enough to tell you.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
It isn't by definition a "blue water" boat. It has a shallow-V hull and not much weight to it. It doesn't have a self-bailing cockpit. It was designed for use in protected/semi-protected water. Usable in the ocean on a calm day as long as you're paying VERY close attention to the weather, and are willing to beat it home at the first inkling that the waves are gonna kick up.

It would not be my choice for a boat that's taken offshore regularly.

My .02

aspeck

Staff member
I would be looking for something with a deeper V, a self-bailer, and more of a dead rise.

southkogs

Staff member
Much better hull design for big water. I've heard good things about Trophys, but don't know much about 'em.

aspeck

Staff member
As long as it is solid (transom, stringers, engine, outdrive) . It looks clean on the outside, but it is what is underneath that matters. The boat itself would handle offshore much better than your original one in question.

dragos28

Seaman
thanks once again. I'm going to focus on selling my current boat and then seeing what i buy. i keep hearing that its better to have an OB engine(s)