Newbie prop question

jrock1062

Cadet
Hello All

I am sure this has been asked before so thanks in advance for the the help

I bought a 2002 Sea Ray 225 weekender that has a 5.0 260 hp with a Alpha drive Sea Ray recommends a 14x 19 prop the boat weighs in at 4600 pnds and with 2 or 3 people on it and about 25 gallons of gas can anyone recommend a prop whether it be a size or Brand ? I was looking to get better performance mid to top end as I wont be doing much skiing and I have already decided on a stainless if that helps Thanks again for the help

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Newbie prop question

Welcome, please read the stickies at the top of the page.You did pretty good but we need more info.

walleyehed

Admiral

Welcome, Jrock!
The items that help the most so we can give YOU the best help would be: Current prop model and make with dia. and pitch, ie 14X17 Blackmax etc... What RPM are you getting with a normal load at wide open throttle (WOT)?
And RPM at WOT.
Speed can be posted as well and please list if this is pitot, Lower unit pressure pitot, or possibly GPS speed.
You may want to add what you expect from the boat-what it will be mainly used for.

p.s. the 5.0L is "usually" in the 230hp range.
I believe if you have 260HP you have a 5.7L.

jrock1062

Cadet

Welcome, Jrock!
The items that help the most so we can give YOU the best help would be: Current prop model and make with dia. and pitch, ie 14X17 Blackmax etc... What RPM are you getting with a normal load at wide open throttle (WOT)?
And RPM at WOT.
Speed can be posted as well and please list if this is pitot, Lower unit pressure pitot, or possibly GPS speed.
You may want to add what you expect from the boat-what it will be mainly used for.

p.s. the 5.0L is "usually" in the 230hp range.
I believe if you have 260HP you have a 5.7L.

Thanks for the advice I can only tell you that the prop is 14x19 and is painted over so I am not sure of the make but i will go try to read what brand and any other information I could read.
As far as the specs you were looking for I can not give you that as I just bought the boat and am winterizing it d putting it away for the winter.I was hoping to get some ideas as to which prop to get to start off next year, as the one on there now looks a little beaten up.I have read about diameter, pitch and cupping but could use some clarification on how they all work in concert with each other. My hope was to hear from someone with a similar boat that might have some insight or some guidance for me on which way to go Even if it is on a brand of prop

From what I have gathered and read Sea Ray had a fuel injected 5.0 that generated 260 hp that they used as a stock motor in there 225's your not the first person to ask me about that and to be honest I didn't know there was a difference

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I would suggest check that the motor is well tuned,Have the prop repaired over the winter.In the spring do some test runs and get the info to us.
There may be some numbers under the prop nut that will help identify.
A stainless will be slightly magnetic an aluminum not magnetic.
The likelyhood of finding a matching boat isn't lilely and we are allready in doubt about your actual hp.There may be some clues on any labels on the motor.Yopui can also look for a carb or injectors.
If you can get us the baseline tests we can make some suggestions.