Newbie looking for help with floor replacement

sunbird1990

Cadet
bought my first boat for a grand its a sunbird 16 ft bowrider. Something I can make some memories with my kids. Only problem is that the floor is rotted. put my foot thru it just behind the ski locker. Thought maybe I could patch it, but ended up taking up the entire floor. I drilled stringers to check core and they seemed okay. The next part I'm wondering about is the foam. Its full of water like a sponge. Number one, is it suppose to be wet, and do I need to remove it or will it dry out? And if I do remove it what do I replace it with?
My overall plan is to replace the floor and cover it with new carpet. Do I need to glass the floor before the carpet, or can I use one of these epoxy resins to seal the wood and just put the carpet down on that? any information would be greatly appreciated. :facepalm:

rickryder

Commander
Re: Newbie looking for help with floor replacement

Hi sunbird Welcome to iboats and The Dry Dock!

We have all been in your position with rot problems.... First thing would be to post pictures of the boat and it's damage you have found.

Lets look at your trailer to see if it will support the hull or if you need to brace it up to keep the hull from flexing while you do your repairs.

Your wet foam must be removed and replaced....also when your in there you can check the stringers better down low where the rot starts.

You will also need to check the transom for rot....

Your deck will need to be 1/2" to 3/4" exterior grade plywood covered in csm fiberglass and poly resin on the bottom ....gaps along the edges filled with thickened resin we call it PB or peanutbutter (resin,cabosil and chopped glass fibers)
Once thats done you will need to tab the deck to the hull sides (gunwales) with strips of glass and csm and 6oz cloth on the topside...

The links above have great info on restoration and mine has a bunch of info also (below in signature).

We have a great bunch here on iboats always willing to lend a hand with your questions on how to!

Once you have your pics up more will chime in and help out with your progress.... We look to rebuild boats better than when the factory built it and be sure it's safe for family and friends ;)

So welcome aboard! :D

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi and welcome sunbird1990,

The foam will probably never dry out...it is supposed to remain completely dry to aid either in floatation or structural strength...it being soaked is going to make the boat much heavier than it should be, affecting the loading safety and performance...

The probability that the stringers and transom are still good are pretty slim...you need to take core samples at the lowest possible points after you tear out all the wet foam...

Unfortunately, you may have some more work and expense ahead of you before safely enjoying that boat with your family...

But if you decide to go for it...we'll be able to help you get it done with lots of know how...

This is a great place to start getting a lot of necessary info... http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288451

Post pictures of everything...get a free photobucket account, load your pics there, then click on the IMG tag to post them here...

Helps you remember how and where everything goes, and helps us to see what you see...

Good Luck and Have Fun!
GT1M

sunbird1990

Cadet

i have a photobucket account how do I post the image to the site can't find the link

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you hover over the pic in Photobucket, a popup window appears, Click the last link in the window IMG url. It will say "Copied" Return to iBoats and do a Ctrl "V" in your post and the pic will be copied.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It worked, Kinda. Like I said, it's a lot easier to cut and paste the IMG tag. I got this by hovering over the image in the album and clicking on the bottom IMG Code window. Your method sends us to Photobucket for a slide show.

IMGtag.jpg

sunbird1990

Cadet

What are the options for foam replacement? Getting nervous about cost, especially after I priced MG plywood (ouch!) And do you have any idea what the price of fiberglass is?

rickryder

Commander

No need for MG plywood...ext.grade,underlayment,mdo .... once it's covered in resin and glass it will be fine.

For foam,glass,resin and other needs most of us go to www.uscomposites.com

Just to give you an idea....figure what your covering...let say the deck...16' boat x the beam let's say 6'

covert to sq yds.... 10.66 you will need 3 layers of csm....lets call it 32 yds then 10.66 yds of 6oz cloth

Here is the amount of resin each type of mat and cloth takes to wet out

Fiberglass Information, and How much resin do I need?
Please remember several things: These are estimates not hard and fast rules. If you are laminating over wood, the raw wood will soak up some resin, which is good, but you will use more resin on the first layer. Thin resin goes farther than thick resin.
Chopped strand mat:
The general rule for chopped stand mat is 1.5 to two times the weight in resin to the weight of mat.
For 1.5 ounce chopped strand mat you will need 3 to 4 ounces per SQUARE FOOT.
For 2.0 ounce chopped strand mat you will need 4 to 5 ounces per SQUARE FOOT.
There are about 150 ounces or resin by weight per gallon. Example: 10 square yards of chopped strand mat is 90 square feet. 90 x 4 = 360 oz. 360 oz of mat divided by 150 oz per gallon gives you 2.4 gallons.
Material to approximate gallons of resin used.
1.5 OZ MAT = 1 gallon covers 4.2 square yds
2.0 OZ MAT = 1 gallon covers 3.4 square yds
Here is a helpful table for cloth:
There are about 150 ounces per gallon by weight
1.5 ounce cloth (cloth not chopped mat)….1 gallon wets out 40 square yards
2.5 ounce cloth….1 gallon wets out 25 square yards
4 ounce cloth……1 gallon wets out 15 square yards
6 ounce cloth……1 gallon wets out 10 square yards
10 ounce cloth…..1 gallon wets out 6.5 square yards
18 ounce woven roving …1 gallon wets out 4.5 square yards
24 ounce woven roving …1 gallon wets out 3.5 square yards.
Biaxial mat 1708.………….. 1 gallon wets out 4 square yards

93bayliner1800

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello and welcome as well. I am currently rebuilding my Bayliner...It will end up costing right at 2,000 for my restoration. This includes all the little things that add up, and not including my upholstery. Hope that helps.

sunbird1990

Cadet

sorry its been awhile trying to balance fatherhood and boat rebuilding. I looked at the stringers and there is rot. I would have to remove the cap to get under the bow section and i don't have that capability. the foam that I removed was soaked. The bottom line is that I paid 1000 for the boat, and to restore it fully is going to cost more than the boat is worth. My plan is to sister the two main stringers from stern to just before the bow with pt ply with epoxy. next I'm going to lay down 1/2 in pt ply coated in epoxy for the floor. Then pour 4 lb density foam in under the floor for more support. Ultimately I would like to squeeze a few years out of her. What are your thoughts.

sunbird1990

Cadet

Sorry its been awhile trying to balance fatherhood and boat rebuilding. I looked at the stringers and there is rot. I would have to remove the cap to get under the bow section and i don't have that capability. the foam that I removed was soaked. The bottom line is that I paid 1000 for the boat, and to restore it fully is going to cost more than the boat is worth. My plan is to sister the two main stringers from stern to just before the bow with pt ply with epoxy. next I'm going to lay down 1/2 in pt ply coated in epoxy for the new floor. Then pour 4 lb density foam in under the floor for more support. Ultimately I would like to squeeze a few years out of her. What are your thoughts.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would not use PT ply. It takes a long time for it to dry and if it's not dry the expoxy will not adhere properly. I'd recommend basic ext. Grade plywood. Sistering is ok as long as all the rot is gone. You.

sunbird1990

Cadet

I've already cut the PT ply to fit. Currently it is sitting on saw horses in my garage with a fan on it. I'm going to give it a good week to dry. It's already dried out quite a bit by doing that. This boat will never see the ocean, just lakes. so I don't anticipate choppy water or lrg waves.

rickryder

Commander

Read my thread since I sistered my stringers and worked with the cap on.....might give you some ideas ;)