New Water Pump Housing ??

michaud500

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought both upper and lower water pump housing plus impeller and such to rebuild the pump. I went to Krowley Marine and pulled up the corect parts for year and serial # of motor. When I got it the upper housing is different. There is no seal around the drive shaft. WTF? Is it a revised part? I mean the oil and such is below in the LU. I dont for see any oil and water mixing together. The LU is sealed like it is supposed to be! Any input PLEASE!

Oh it is 1969 500# 2629264.

Thanks

JWH0420

Seaman Apprentice
Re: New Water Pump Housing ??

if its like the larger versions and im inclinded to think it is the impeller seals on the housing for the upper part the seal for lower unit lube is in a base plate below impeller and the metal plate under the impeller... look up ur motor on iboats site and confirm the parts u have are right i have seen differences in them and still be right parts

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Maybe someone installed a different gercase somewhere along the line. I am not familar with the 60s Mercs, but the 70s mercs have the driveshaft seals in the water pump base.

michaud500

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It looks the same just doesn't have the seal on the upper housing. The LU is the original gear case from what I can gather. Would it be wrong of me to try and run with this housing even though it has no upper seal?? It wouldnt matter if water got into it because it is the water pump. I have a seal of some sort that goes over and down the drive shaft and sits above the pump on the drive shaft.

Moody Blue

Captain

I discovered the same thing a number of years ago when I first changed the original waterpump housing on my 1971 Merc 800. The original housing had a seal at the top but the newer replacement housings do not. From what I was told, those seals were deemed unnecessary and were eliminated in newer housings. I've been using the new housings for years now without issues. The rubber collar that fits down over the driveshaft and sits ontop of the pump housing is called a slinger. Not really sure what it does.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Slinger stops any crud from entering top of pump housing,protecting seals.

michaud500

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thats great news fella's!! I will give a whirl and post later!