new volvo penta owner

armenk35

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hey guys i got a 2001 forwins with a 4.3 volvo penta gl and the problem im having is that when i try to take off a little bit fast the engine chokes for 2 seconds then starts to take off pretty good. does anyone know what might be the problem? thank alot

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: new volvo penta owner

hey guys i got a 2001 forwins with a 4.3 volvo penta gl and the problem im having is that when i try to take off a little bit fast the engine chokes for 2 seconds then starts to take off pretty good. does anyone know what might be the problem? thank alot
Could be the timing is off a little if some one has done a service to it and did it wrong, Or the the spark plugs are a little fouled out from the carb not adjusted right, And/or the power valve inside the carb is blown and giving the engine to much fuel and fouling the spark plugs, Or the acceleration pump on the carb is bad and not giving the extra fuel the engine needs for take off. I would start by pulling a lot of the spark plugs out and take a reading to see if they look rich or lean of fuel, Also you might want to pull the fuel filter and look at and smell the fuel to see if it is old or dirty or is it clean, and put a new filter on just to be safe.:)