New Trolling Motor Purchase. Need a little assistance.

mbrown2097

Cadet
Looking to swap out an existing MotorGuide for a MinnKota. Not certain of the shaft length needed.
1. Can I just measure the existing motorguide's shaft to figure out what I'll need on the Minn Kota?
2. If measuring the current Motor Guide, Just measure the pole, not the motor or top control housing, correct?
Thanks!!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Trolling Motor Purchase. Need a little assistance.

Looking to swap out an existing MotorGuide for a MinnKota. Not certain of the shaft length needed.
1. Can I just measure the existing motorguide's shaft to figure out what I'll need on the Minn Kota?
2. If measuring the current Motor Guide, Just measure the pole, not the motor or top control housing, correct?
Thanks!!!

I'm not exactly sure how each company measures their trolling motor length, but measure your old trolling motor shaft length and find one that is as close as you can get to that size. Most trolling motors has a little adjustment to fit different setups. So something close to yours will work. And as far as the electrical connections, install the new one per the old one's wiring. That being black wire to black wire and red wire to red wire on the plug like the old one was wired. It should work perfect.