New to us 2004 Regal 2200 5.0

harveje

Seaman
Tested the boat last thurs and the steering "seemed" hard to me. What type of steering system is on this boat and what do I need to look for or ask? It's getting cleaned up and we should pick it up this Monday. Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is a dealer doing the cleanup? They should know or be able to tell you with a quick glance or feel behind behind the dash.

harveje

Seaman
yes a dealer is doing the clean up and I've sent him a message to check the steering and F/R shifter for me. Boat has 290hrs on the clock. Thanks for the reply

harveje

Seaman
Dealer stated they greased the steering and everything checked out ok.... BUT...

.2004 Regal 2200 5.0 volvo with SX-M out-drive, This thing is a bitty to steer while under way.. It has power steering with a rack system. Sitting still I can spin the wheel with 1 finger, and I can move the out-drive side to side with one hand, but when under way it's hard as heck to steer. I've laid on the engine and looked, there's no binding, no power steering whine, no fluid leaks, no rust or corrosion. So I don't think its a rack or cable issue and I don't know how to check the ps pump short of changing it out and I don't know how to check the actuator.. And while cruising if I let up on the wheel it pulls hard left. This is my first VP and I did not see the little anode fin like mercs have....The cable tube that has the wrench flats the flats were not vertical like some others say so I loosened the cable nut and turned the flats then re snugged the nut.. I sprayed everything with kroil for the heck of it..I think the put the actuator on a sawhorse and built the boat around it........ Thanks in advance for the help..