New to towing...surge brake operation question

Cincyrunner

Seaman
I've never towed before now. But just bought a boat with tandem axle trailer with surge brakes. How would I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the surge brakes are working? In other words, if I'm towing and start brakng, how do I know for certain if the trailer brakes are working and slowing me down, or if it's only the SUV brakes that are slowing me down?

Thanks for your input!

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: New to towing...surge brake operation question

On mine when i'm slowing down as the trailer brakes engage u can feel alot of braking coming from the rear.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same effect as lime 4x4 describes. I also feel it with a dump trailer I pull with surge brakes.

You may find there is a slight delay between when you start braking with the tow vehicle, and when the trailer brakes apply as the system compresses to apply the hydraulic pressure to the brakes. You may not feel it at all when decreasing speed very slowly.

Take it out and try slowing down quickly, and slowly, and in between to get a feel for your trailer.

Watch out when pulling empty,as the brakes may lock up on the trailer very easily and get the trailer sideways!

Cheers

Cincyrunner

Seaman

Watch out when pulling empty,as the brakes may lock up on the trailer very easily and get the trailer sideways!

Cheers

What do you mean by "pulling empty"? And why would they lock up?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I have the same effect as lime 4x4 describes. I also feel it with a dump trailer I pull with surge brakes.

Cheers

If this happens you have a brake issue as this cannot happen on a functioning system. Surge brakes are self modulating meaning as soon as they start to out-brake the tow vehicle they let go. When the tow vehicle begins to slow, the surge coupler begins applying trailer brake pressure. As the trailer brakes tend to pull the trailer away, the coupler releases pressure. The shock absorber prevents the brake/release/brake/release action that would occur without it.

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

cincy,

If you want to prove that the trailer brakes are working..... stop the tow vehicle and trailer on a downward hill, jack up one trailer wheel and see if you can turn it. Another way would be to place a chock behind one of the trailer tires, back the tow vehicle up slightly, stop and jack the trailer wheel up which does not have the chock behind it. The wheel should not turn.

Proper trailer maintenance will help ensure that the trailer brakes function properly.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If this happens you have a brake issue as this cannot happen on a functioning system. Surge brakes are self modulating meaning as soon as they start to out-brake the tow vehicle they let go. When the tow vehicle begins to slow, the surge coupler begins applying trailer brake pressure. As the trailer brakes tend to pull the trailer away, the coupler releases pressure. The shock absorber prevents the brake/release/brake/release action that would occur without it.

I guess i didn't word myself to clearly.. Every trailer i've owned you could feel the trailer brakes engaging when stopping suddenly. Even on slow stopping i can feel them just to a lesser degree

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try to back-up..........If the trailer stops you, they are working.

Cincyrunner

Seaman

I guess that would work only if I disconnected the electrical, correct? Otherwise I have the one blue wire connected to my back-up lights on my SUV which engages the solenoid which disengages the brakes. Thanks, I can try this.

Cincyrunner

Seaman

cincy,

If you want to prove that the trailer brakes are working..... stop the tow vehicle and trailer on a downward hill, jack up one trailer wheel and see if you can turn it. Another way would be to place a chock behind one of the trailer tires, back the tow vehicle up slightly, stop and jack the trailer wheel up which does not have the chock behind it. The wheel should not turn.

Proper trailer maintenance will help ensure that the trailer brakes function properly.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd like to work on checking it out this way.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

some brakes have auto reverse lockouts built into the mechanism, or were just so ineffective in reverse they didn't do much of anything.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What do you mean by "pulling empty"? And why would they lock up?

What I mean by pulling empty is if you go any distance with the trailer without the boat on it. The trailer is so light that applying the brakes hard on the tow vehicle will cause the tralier brakes to lock, but sometimes the trailer is too light to release the brakes once they lock while moving. Once you stop and pullaway again the brakes will release. Another possibility is that the brakes won't apply at all because the trailer is too light, but I have experienced both phenomenon while puling an empty trailer.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Not always true! If the brakes are the "Free Backing" style" the trailer will back up just fine..