New to the boating world/ restoration questions

sreye22

Cadet
Re: New to the boating world/ restoration questions

Another question, sorry guys like I said, newbie haha. What are the pros and cons between bunks on your trailer or rollers?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I think you'll find that most of us alum boat guys really prefer bunks over rollers. Why? Better support for our hulls.:)

sreye22

Cadet

Hello everyone, It's been quite awhile since my last post. Ive been crazy busy but I have made some progress on the SS. (i'll have pics shortly) Just coated all seams and rivets with gluvit and re riveted my stringers back to the ribs, now rock solid! One thing I am having a whole lot of trouble with is getting the transom out. My transom was a three piece but the main piece won't seem to budge. anyone have any ideas as to help me along with this? Also the hull is bare aluminum up to about a third of the way up on the hull and the rest is white. Im thinking of using sharkhide on the bare aluminum to polish it up as I've read some posts saying that painting the bottom has left some with not so stellar results. I will paint the top two thirds a two tone Royal Blue and a Light gray to match my seats. Again pictures to come shortly. Hope everyone is doing well and thank you all for the wealth of knowledge you have provided. It has given me continued hope and excitement for whats to come.

sreye22

Cadet

a few pics of some of the progress I have made. Sorry it took me so long to post photos. Ill have more on the way.

IMG_0647.jpgIMG_0646.jpgIMG_0644.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice work getting it stripped bare. Looks good! And looks like you finished getting the transom wood out.

sreye22

Cadet

Thanks! Yeah the transom was a bear to get out. I'm now finishing up sanding the side rails and bow and filling any screw holes.

sreye22

Cadet

Started working on the consoles hopefully finish those up here soon and than on to paint. Still having a tough time deciding on a paint scheme. This weekend is dedicated to the boat. Looking forward to it. Pics to come.