New to me VIP first boat

winfan

Seaman Apprentice
DSCF3864.jpg
Just got a 1988 Vision 1750 I/O 2.3L OMC Cobra 3 weeks ago. Took out this past weekend and what a blast. I am totally happy with this purchase and I took along a friend to check out the boat before I handed over the cash. The only thing is that I can not seem to find out much about older VIPs. Wish that this thread was more active. Anyway glad to be here.

blueoval1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New to me VIP first boat

Mine was the same boat except the year:cool:!!
My Vision is the SS model with sun deck and bucket seats though. It also had a 2.3L Ford in it but it was junk. Bought a wrecked Sunbird with the 4.3L Cobra setup and moved it all to the VIP.
Been working on the interior upholstery slowly. Just got side panels , sundeck , and rear seat left to do.(what a pain in the a..)!
I just came back from vacation at my favorite lake here in Colorado. Now have 63 hrs on repower with no problems.
If you really want it to go..... put on Smart Tabs. They made mine into a corvette on water!:D
Nice to see another VIP owner. If you need any parts for your 2.3L let me know , I still got a few.
Talk with you later!

winfan

Seaman Apprentice

Thats really cool. Can you tell me what problems you had with your 2.3. I had a friend of mine check this Ford out and everything seems goods. The last owner was a mechanic and everything mechanical shows it. Well taken care of. Now for the interior it is a little bit beat up. Few tears but over all decent. We will work on that over the off season.
The day after I got her we went out on a good shake down. Was really happy. The next week we went out for the weekend (Picture above) and she was pretty impressive. Did not tow anyone because it is my first boat and my friends were working with me to get used to her and how she behaves. We had totally calm 1/2 days then the wind took off so I got a little bit of each each day. I have towed allot of times with other boats but just wanted to be comfortable with her.
Exactly what are Smart Tabs? I know this is not like my friends Bayliner 5.0L Mercrusier so 55+ will never happen but more like my friends Fourwinns 3.0 OMC Cobra. 35 trimmed seems to be top, 25-30 untrimmed. That was with 4 adults. With 6 it was a bit slower but not much. I have this WhaleTail which planes me out almost instantly. Everyone was impressed.
Sorry for the long post. Just really excited with this boat and have had so many comments from friends and others that have seen her. Also not many VIPs running around either. Any information you can give me would help.
Was hoping that another VIP Vision owner would reply.

blueoval1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I never got to try the 2.3L. It was blown up along with a trashed drive when I got the boat. Just make sure you change the timing belt regularly. It should do well. They are rated at 120 HP.
I have a Factory parts catolog I'll send you for free if you want it. I don't need it anymore.

Get rid of the whale tail!!:eek:
I had a stingray on mine and the damn thing was like it was going to tip over in the corners. Especially when turning to the port side(left).
They make the boat try and balance on the cavation plate , not good. Besides that , they can literally tear the cavation plate apart.
Here is a pic of my Smart Tabs:
IMG_0129-2.jpg

They make the boat handle like a sports car! Plus I picked up 3 mph on the topend.
As far as holeshot , I can't really comment on it yet. I need to go to a 13.25 x 17 prop instead of my 14 x 19.
Make sure you check drive oil every time you take her out!
That's how people trash the Cobra drives...lack of lube.
Don't know about you but I wish it was June instead of September!

winfan

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks I have checked all fluids and things prior to leaving and when we arrive. I do need to get a manual on this. I would like the parts catalog. Thanks. I will look into the Smart Tabs and the Whaletail removal. I'll send you a private message.