New (to me) towing vehicle. . And question

tpenfield

Staff member
I just got a 2004 Cadillac Escalade w/ 6.0L 345 HP AWD. Towing capacity is 8100 lbs. not that I have anything to immediately tow with the thing . . .

I was planning on getting an F-250 or 350 to tow my Formula 330. My local boat ramp is about 1 mile down the road (30 mph) . . . The boat is 8900 lb dry and probably about 9800 lbs w/ fuel, etc.

So, as I am driving this Escalade home, I am wondering if it would do the job to tow my boat the 1 mile down the road to the ramp and launch it. :noidea:

The ramp is really shallow . . . We call it "a road that runs into the water". I figured that maybe I'll get a wicked big trailer (tri-axle) and try it.

Thoughts ???

I currently use a boat hauler at about $700 per year. But I would like the flexibility of mid season haul- out and if a hurricane comes, the boat haulers are swamped with requests. So a DIY hurricane haul out would be a good thing.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Wouldn't it be 9800# plus the weight of the "wicked big trailer (tri-axle)" trailer? It's gonna be way north of 8100 pounds.

Unless you get the trailer and rent a truck that can handle the load until you find an F-250 or 350.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
Owners manual
Quote:
Maximum trailer weight is calculated assuming only the driver is in the tow vehicle and it has all the required trailering equipment. The weight of additional optional equipment,passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle must be subtracted from the maximum trailer weight.

Notice: Using a fifth-wheel or goose-neck hitch device on your vehicle could damage the vehicle. The repairs would not be covered by your warranty. Do not use a fifth-wheel or goose-neck hitch device on your vehicle.

Vehicle AWD 6.0L
Axle Ratio 3.73
Max Trailer Weight 7,400 lbs (3357 kg)
**GCWR 14,000 lbs. (6350 kg)

**The Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) in the total allowable weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer including any passengers, cargo, equipment and conversions. The GCWR for your vehicle should not be exceeded.

Also a good weight distrubution hitch with sway control helps keep thing where they need to be.

This a post answering a similar question from a Cadillac forum, 04 Escalade XL, guy wanting to pull a big camper.

My 2 cents. If it were me I think I would try it since it's such a short distance at slow speed. Does your Escalade have a factory tow package?
Even though it's only a mile since your going to be above weight trailer brakes would be a must. Never know when some idiot is going to pull
out in front of you or God forbid a kid or animal is suddenly in your path.
On second thought I guess you also have to consider the liability if something bad were to happen. Would your insurance be in effect with a
overweight rig???

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Ted-I think you may be ok for the mile. All escalade come with trans cooler, oil cooler, 3.73 locking diff, etc. The air ride will help too, assuming it's not so worn out that it just can't hold enough air. My main concern would be that little 4l60 trans giving out. If you don't smoke the trans I think you're ok.

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks for the comments so far, guys.

The Escalade has a tow hitch and 7 pin harness . . . looks factory original.

In terms of weight, I think I am looking at . . .

Boat/fuel/gear = 9800
Aluminum Trailer = 1700

So about 11,500 . . . it is a bit of a stretch.

I would think the biggest concern would be coming up the ramp. Probably need to think about it. I could try it once and if it was awful, then just get an F-350.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the comments so far, guys.

The Escalade has a tow hitch and 7 pin harness . . . looks factory original.

In terms of weight, I think I am looking at . . .

Boat/fuel/gear = 9800
Aluminum Trailer = 1700

So about 11,500 . . . it is a bit of a stretch.

I would think the biggest concern would be coming up the ramp. Probably need to think about it. I could try it once and if it was awful, then just get an F-350.

With the 6.0 AWD I wouldn't think the ramp would be a problem. I think the road would be far scarier! :D

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just so you know, the hitch that comes on that vehicle is rated for 5K if you aren't using equilizer bars. First thing I would do to that vehicle is throw that hitch in the scrap pile and have a better hitch put on.

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks for the input, guys. A few things to check out based on the comments.

I could go the '10+ year old used F-250 or F-350' route, but I think the tow ratings on those vehicles would be in a similar range ( 8-9K lbs.). Not sure when the ratings went up like there seem to be with the more recent models years of SUV & truck :noidea:

A truck might be a better match for the load though.

First thing would be to get the trailer. I saw one on CL last night, but it turned out to have been recently sold (I hate it when folks leave the ads up on CL)

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
One mile, 5,280 feet.....I would do it.

I know from reading your posts and websites that the brakes on the trailer will be 100% functioning and adjusted.

tpenfield

Staff member
One mile, 5,280 feet.....I would do it.

I know from reading your posts and websites that the brakes on the trailer will be 100% functioning and adjusted.

Yea, thanks. :) Most tri-axle trailers have brakes on 2 of the 3 axles. So, that is what I would be looking for in a trailer . . . disc brakes in particular, not drum. Had discs on my 24 foot trailer for my previous boat and I could stop on a steep hill no problem. Had drum brakes on my sailboat trailer and the response was not as good.

tpenfield

Staff member
Here is a picture of the 'new' tow vehicle. Got if from my FIL . . . he has 2 others of much newer years and didn't want to keep this one.

TowVehicle1.JPG

I drove it from VT to CT and then back to MA yesterday (lots of driving). I managed to squeak 18.7 mpg overall out of it, but it certainly will be more thirsty than the Explorer. Of course I took a good look at the tires when I got it home . . . needs at least 2 new ones for the front. The Admiral is going to get it registered and inspected.

Speaking of the Explorer, I think it knows something is up . . . it let loose a big patch of oil underneath it while parked in the driveway over the weekend, so it may be upset about sharing driveway space with a 'Caddy'. Hopefully the oil dripping will be fixable :rolleyes: Love that Explorer :thumb: but it only has a 4.6 V8 240 HP AWD. . . 7,000 lb towing capacity . . . Towed my F-242 just fine.

NYBo

Admiral
Of course I took a good look at the tires when I got it home . . . needs at least 2 new ones for the front.
Better check the owner's manual. Some AWD systems are very persnickety about tire diameters matching very closely. You may need 4 new tire$.

That's an awfully heavy load for a short wheelbase SUV.

tpenfield

Staff member
Better check the owner's manual. Some AWD systems are very persnickety about tire diameters matching very closely. You may need 4 new tire$.

That's an awfully heavy load for a short wheelbase SUV.

Yea, if the AWD gets pissed off then we can put 2 more tires on there. It also has traction control and stability control, so usually one of those systems acts up if the tires are too different.

The Admiral got back from the DMV (MassDOT) with the license plates . . . $800 later :facepalm: :faint:

In other news . . . upon closer inspection the Explorer was not leaking oil. Somehow it is holding onto water from the rain and dripping it below the engine/tranny area for days afterwards. Something must be clogged in the vent system.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
For some reason I was envisioning the larger Suburban size. Yeah...better not go much more than a mile.

I wish it were the larger Suburban size . . . probably would have a higher tow rating then. Just checking the manual the GCWR is 14,000 lbs and trailer limit is 8,100 lbs as earlier stated. I think the vehicle itself is about 5,500 lbs

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
For some reason I was envisioning the larger Suburban size. Yeah...better not go much more than a mile.

Not an XL.

"One" of my tow vehicles is a literally brand new 2001 Suburban with 140,000 miles. It is a Chevy "Escalade", has every possible option except a sunroof. Purchased new by a local funeral home, (it's black) and immaculately maintained. I'm going to keep it forever. :D

With a proper trailer and hitch setup I would tow that boat a mile in a heartbeat.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I wish it were the larger Suburban size . . . probably would have a higher tow rating then. Just checking the manual the GCWR is 14,000 lbs and trailer limit is 8,100 lbs as earlier stated. I think the vehicle itself is about 5,500 lbs

The esv tow rating is decreased from the short escalade by the amout of extra weight the esv has. I think my 03 esv is rated for something like 7700 lbs (I'm too lazy to walk out and look right now)

I had this on a scale last summer and I remember it weighing almost exactly 6000 lbs with me in it.

J JACKSON

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i don't know your towing experience but if you decide to try it have someone with you that has towed heavy loads , they may have some good pointers like a weight distributing hitch but disconnect the bars at the ramp or risk sliding into the water from no weight on the rear wheels.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I would not risk it the escalade could do it but do you want to risk it with a short wheel base your asking for trouble