new to me free outboard

waldron 1

Seaman Apprentice
montgomery ward sea king twin cyl 15, model no.gg8823a serial no.o6x764858 100 and 110 psi on cylinders.have replaced all ignition componets,fuel lines.have not yet tried to start it still going over it.would like to know year of manufacture, oil to gas ratio at time of production,present day oil to gas ratio with tcw 3,any inherent weaknesses or strengths of this particular motor,any common shared parts of other motors,any info appreciated. was a grandpa motor ran fine 3to4 years ago was sitting on garage floor up until 2 months ago was then kicked out on to the back lawn in the winter rain.had a little water in gearcase oil hoping it was just condensation.im 75 dollars into it keeping my fingers crossed thanks!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: new to me free outboard

1960. Made by Gale (a division of OMC), it shares most of it's parts with kissing-cousins Johnson and Evinrude. They were made in Galesburg Illinois. The plant later produced Lawn Boy mowers (also a division of OMC). I don't know what Evinrude or Johnson it would equate to, but they had a 15 that later became 18Hp about then. If that's the case, the Johnson FD models would all be similar to yours.<br /><br />Points gap .020"<br />Sparkplug J6C gapped .030"<br />24:1 w/SAE30 was original, but 32:1 w/ any TCW oil should do fine (4oz/gal).

Paul Moir

Admiral

I think WillyBWright is correct, that the '60 15hp Gale is equivalent to a 18hp Johnny/Rude. It's easy enough to tell. The 19.94CID engine (50s J/E 15hp) has two large plates on either side of the back half of the engine. The 22.0CID engine (50s/60s 18hp) has a large "bubble" plate on the port side and two smaller plates on the starboard. <br />The water in the gearcase may be from leaky drain/fill plug seals. Try changing them first. A reseal isn't particularly difficult if necessary. It cannot be caused by condensation as the gearcase is not open to the atmosphere.<br />You'll need to replace the water pump impeller as a minimum. They go bad just sitting around.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't disagree with WBW on the mix, but should point out that OMC said to use the 24:1 mix with TC-W3 oil as well.<br /><br />I am inclined to use the manufacturer's recommendations.

waldron 1

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info guys ill test in a barrel and keep an eye on seals and impeller.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Impeller should be replaced. Don't chance it.