New to me Deck Boat - Question: Can I run a sink/faucet and a washdown off one pump?

rmurray

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In trying to research information about hooking up the sink faucet on the deck boat that I just purchased, I am coming up with some new ideas. First of all, I am having a little difficulty figuring out what to do, but now I think I want to add a washdown. I also think I want the faucet to run on an electric pump rather than a hand pump. Therefore, I am wondering if I can run both on one pump (not at the same time). I think my only concern is that the pressure at the faucet might be too high. Here is what I'm thinking. I just bought a used Monterey Deck Boat with a sink and a faucet. The sink sits on top of a large storage cabinet. Its basically a little bar area. I would like to put a freshwater holding tank in the cabinet beneath the sink along with the pump. I could easily run hoses from the tank to the pump to the faucet inside the cabinet. I would also add some kind of recessed washdown hose that I could use to rinse of sand and dirt, etc.... I like the ones that are in a tube with a cap that is flush to the counter. The bar area is central to the boat, so I would want a hose that could reach to both the front and the back of the 23' boat. Does this sound possible? Does anyone have anything like this? Can someone suggest what tank, pump, and washdown I should be looking for? A diagram would be even better. Thanks!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'll only say that I don't think you want the water in the tank to used for washdown. The tank will be empty when you want sink water.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
For wash down you could easily use 50 plus gallons.... You want your wash down to use water from outside the boat thus you will need 2 pumps.

rmurray

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to see if the boat has a through hull somewhere for pulling in water. I'm not sure I want to drill a hole through it, unless its in the transom. The nice thing about using a water tank is that the washdown would work out of the water too. I was under the impression the washdown would use about 3-4 gals/min. If I had a 30 gallon tank, I couldn't imagine going through that much in one outing. I figure a quick spray here and there. We are never out in the boat more than one day at a time. 50 gallons would go that fast? If that's the case, I guess I'm back to just figuring out how to set up the sink and deciding if I should use an electric pump or a hand pump. I would love to see some of the setups you have in your deck boats. Can I get some recommendations on tanks and pumps? Are there any special fittings I need or does everything fairly straightforward? Are there water tanks that I can remove from the boat easily, or should they be mounted? I've been searching for two days, and there's really a lot of vague information. Thanks!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Your problem is that you are searching for finished installation info on a VERY uninteresting subject that most diy'ers never deal with...

You really are making it out to be harder than it really is.

Just pick a tank you like and decide on a pump and faucet....

It hooks up easily with pex from your local home improvement store....

Don't let it worry you n just go for it.....

'waterboy' YOU CAN DO IT!

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 22' sportdeck that has a sink in the head, one in the cockpit bar in addition to a transom shower (thinking about installing a bow shower as a winter project), all supplied by one 21 gallon tank with one pump. (Sorry, do not know the pump rating.) Of course the more spigots that are open the less flow through each. However, I can imagine that with a long enough small-diameter sprayer hose I could satisfactorily use it for washdowns if I was not overly generous with the water. It would certainly not be anything like using a garden hose for a good wash and rinse but for a rinse after wipedown of lake scum or the like I have no doubt it would work. The problem is hauling all that water around for the day. At over eight pounds per gallon it will affect performance and economy. Something to think about if you do water sports. I only keep about five gallons in my tank.

rmurray

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Would you mind posting a photo of your tank? I just want to see what it looks like in your boat. Thanks!

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class
Would you mind posting a photo of your tank? I just want to see what it looks like in your boat. Thanks!

The tank was obviously installed during manufacturing and is not totally accessible for photographing. It is below deck resting on the hull. There is access to the pump through the engine compartment and the front can be seen when the bar cabinet is removed. A picture of those sections probably wouldn't do much good for emulating on an aftermarket installation. I did spot approximately where the tank is (blue rectangle) in relation to everything else on the floor plan. See the attached sketch. This tank may be four or five inches thick, I haven't ever measured it. It is relatively long and wide. If you are thinking about a 30 gallon tank somewhere above deck, get ready for it to eat up some serious space.
AZ220 deck plan.jpg

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Isnt a fresh water tank buried inside the boat, like a below the deck or side saddle gas tanks?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Often yes but the O/P has a hand pump faucet so most likely he had a very small tank in the cabinet below the sink and likely it was removable...

He has two threads going on this same subject and that detail is in the other one.

rmurray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Attachments

• photo229013.bmp
    123.8 KB · Views: 0

rmurray

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I only have two final questions:

1. The drain to the sink and the ice chest connect together and a single hose runs out the side of the boat through a through-hull fitting. Can I vent the water tank through the same line? My thought is I would run the vent hose to the top of the cabinet and back down to the drain hose, and connect into it with a "T" fitting. That would keep the sink and cooler water that is draining from running into the tank through the vent hose. Unless water is running, that hose is clear. Good or bad idea?

2. If that is a bad idea, I would probably install a deck fill that includes a vent. I would have to drill a hole through the hull at the side of the boat and install a water fill that is vented. I was originally just thinking of installing a water fill, but would the vented fill be suitable for this project? Thanks!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
No do not use your drain for a vent... Johnny just peed of the back and due to a wake got some on him... Now he rinses off in the sink and the vent for he water tank is sucking in a little of the pee water... Now you need to rinse out your cup.... How comfortable ARE you with Johnny? LOL

Yes you CAN use a vented fill if you choose..... If you want you can just put the fill and vent directly on top of the tank or next to the sink.

Last edited: