New (to me) boat - minor vibration above 3,000 RPM please help

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class
I picked up a 1999 Chris Craft 232 Sport Deck with only 42 hours on it yesterday. I did not notice it in the test drive before agreeing to buy but on the cruise home to take it to my dock slip i notice that starting at about 3100 rpm and up i get a minor vibration i can hear and feel a little thru my feet in the floor. The sound is not constant it is more of a

hmmmmm.....................hmmmmmmmm............hmmmmm

lasting maybe 1.5 seconds each and 1.5 seconds apart. It is a little more pronounced at 4000-44000 than 3100 but not all that much different The boat runs super smooth as good as new. There is not change in this vibration regardless of trim level or if i turn the wheel at any degree which i thought if it as different may point to the gimbal. If i put in in neutral and rev the engine up between 3-4k rpm there is no noise or vibration, it is only when is is in gear and moving above 3000. Below 3000 there is none either.

The boat is cherry and the owner was a 70 year old man living on the lake. He took meticulous care of it and i took him for his word on the maintenance oil, etc as it is clear as new and you could see it how he had it covered, trickcle charged etc at a boat house at his place and from his house itself that he takes care of things. Obviously i am wondering about the drive. He said it was serviced two years ago. The belllows look pristine, etc although i know looks mean nothing.

I was hoping to wait until fall when i do a winterization to replace the bellows, gimbal, etc the whole 9 yards. I also am wondering if maybe just every boat is different. It is not a major shudder or anything but it is enough for me to notice it. Does this sound like a drive / u joint issue worth having them do a full drive service on or does it sound fairly "normal".

It is a 5.7 Volvo / SX single prop powertrain

Any info is appreciated. Like an idiot i bought a boat a week after i just paid $500 for a full drive service on my old boat. Luckily that helped sell the boat in less than 10 hours but i would prefer to not do that service now just for the sake of doing it by misdiagnosing a noise.

Please Advise,
Robert

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: New (to me) boat - minor vibration above 3,000 RPM please help

The low freq and the hmmmm seems more like a harmonic than an actual mechanical vibration or something failing. Odd that it is consistent from 3000 all of the way up though. Maybe something being excited on the transom or hull?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

hey there-
does your engine have one belt that drives altenator, waterpump, etc.
if it does try changing it it may have a bad section?
just going with things that rotate and set up bad harmonic vibrations.
if or when you take off the belt spin all the pulleys and see if there is a tight spot?
rob

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it were harmonic from the engine wouldn't I be able to reproduce it with the engine in neutral. I only get it when in gear and the drive is engaged

Please let me know what you think

rbh

Fleet Admiral

thats a good question, but you dont idle at 3000+ do you?
alot of this is guess or by golly stuff.
rob

Last edited:

QC

Supreme Mariner

He tried 3000+ in neutral ^^^^^^ to rule out the engine. I am guessing resonating through the hull as he feels it in the floor . . .

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes I put it in neutral and went thru the rev range slowly to test

Any further thoughts.

Thanks
Robert

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When you put the drive in neutral and rev it you are not putting the engine under a load like you do when it is in gear out on the water. So are you sure you want to rule out the engine as being one of the items to consider? Did you try revving the engine while in gear with the prop removed?

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

When you put the drive in neutral and rev it you are not putting the engine under a load like you do when it is in gear out on the water. So are you sure you want to rule out the engine as being one of the items to consider? Did you try revving the engine while in gear with the prop removed?

I agree! My belt didn't wobble as you could put it until I had it close to WOT in the water, I had to adjust mine (to tight) stearing pump would scream, so I loosed it and is the right tightness, I had a vibration too when running her at 3000rpms and above, Just input on my own exp.