New to iBoats: Starcraft Restoration Project

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I just joined your forum and have enjoyed reading many of the posts. I have recently come into possession of what I am told is a 1962 Starcraft. I don't know what the model is, so anyone that cares to take a guess is welcome.

I have decided to restore this wonderful vessel to its former glory. I had thought about making it a "beater fishing boat"...but that didn't last long. I have read many threads in the past week or so that have given me several ideas on how to improve upon the original while keeping it somewhat original.

I have posted a few pics so you can see what I am working with. I am in the process of stripping out all the old elements and doing the basic clean-up. I am removing all the hardware in preparation for paint, sealer, carpet, etc...I plan on putting all the original hardware back after it is properly polished and paint is complete.

The motor(s) I will be addressing soon as well.

I look forward to hearing all of your advice and input. I can tell I will need it.

Attachments

• HPIM1061.JPG
    HPIM1061.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM1073.JPG
    HPIM1073.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM1062.JPG
    HPIM1062.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM1059.JPG
    HPIM1059.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM1071.JPG
    HPIM1071.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New to iBoats: Starcraft Restoration Project

super nice project, this is just one of mine. 1967 Sportcraft Sportsman. paid $150 for it.

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very nice. Where is a good place to find the older parts: windscreen, steering wheel (helm), controls...etc?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you can repolish your windshield. ebay and craiglist for vintage stuff.

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the windscreen is cracked in several places; from the top rim down about 4-6 inches. Not a huge issue, but something I want to address at some point.

Ebay huh? ok...I'll see what I can find. I'd like to find a good salvage yard though.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I'd like to find a good salvage yard though.

hi wes ....welcome to i boats !

nice boat :)

the words..."good" and "salvage yard" can be tough.....depending on your location......on the coast your chances are better than in a dessert.

maby someone from az can help.....i think we gat a few good guys down there......

but a great place....is someones back yard !...start cruzin !...chances are they just want the old craft haulled away !.....

good luck

oops

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good points. I'm still struggling to find the good places to troll for parts. I'll keep digging though.

Are there any "gotcha's" I should be aware of as I dive into this project? I'm talking about the big ones. Carpet/no carpet, types of wood, empty plastic bottles versus closed foam...I get those arguements fairly well.

Also, how do I get that steering wheel off? Is there a special tool?

Thanks!

reelfishin

Captain

Your boat looks a lot like mine, even the trailer is similar.
Your best bet for windshield is eBay but be aware they made several widths in this style boat. Mine came with a brand new windshield but I don't think its going back on this one, I have a later glass windshield from a later model I plan to use, and I'll use the new windshield on another boat I am also working on.
These are one of the easiest boats to work on, everything comes apart easily and without too much aggravation. I tossed my trailer in favor of a new Load Rite but that was a luck find. I'm eying up my third Starcraft right now.

http://i27.tinypic.com/snhweg.jpg

http://i30.tinypic.com/30c2fd3.jpg

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reelfishin - our boats do look very similar. Yours looks really clean and crisp. I am considering leaving the windshield off. the former owner had spent some time placing a forward fishing seat and a solid anchor under the forward deck. This boat will mosly be used for fishing so not having the windshield as an obstacle might be nice. It just seems odd not to have it...especially if we're zipping around the lake towing the kids, etc... Do you think not having it will make a big difference? I really don't know how these boats ride in the water.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

a windsheild is a really good thing to have over 25 mph

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Nice looking boat. Go to Fiberglassics dot com to help you find info on it. Here are a few photos from the 63 brochure (posted on that site) tht might help you identify it.​

They have a classified section and forums there that might lead you to the parts. I am in the same boat as you (no pun intended) for parts.​

Attachments

• starcraftb63005.jpg
    starcraftb63005.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 0
  • starcraftb63006.jpg
    starcraftb63006.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the tip fixb52s. I have checked out the fiberglassics site...very cool. I think it may be a Jupiter. I need to move the small Evinrude off the transome to get a look for a plate.

Let me know if you come across any good parts. Helm, controls, and a kleet are on my wish list.

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Need some input on the deck (lower). I am thinking I will go with 3/4 ply (stiffness), then covered with all-weather carpet. What is the best way to seal the plywood? Thomsons doesn't look tough enough, but resin may be too much.

Thoughts please.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

1/2 inch is fine. make sure it is well supported from below.....

all the waterseal you can pour on it is money poured down the drain...it doesnt work on boats......poly resin is the cheepest...you will need a layer of glass on the deck any how.......search floor.

cheers
oops

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok. going with 1/2 inch, well supported, with a touch of glass. I will search the forum for "floor".

Do you have any recommendations on topside paint (brand & technique)? I can spray it...but I have seen some discussion about rolling or brushing. Thoughts?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Don't do spray cans! I did mine with that and it took way more paint than I would have thought. I ended up buying so many cans that I think I could have had it painted professionally for a similar price. I used Rustoleum and it's holding up well. If I had it do over again I'd probably buy some of Rustoleums new marine line and roll/tip it.

i386

Captain

Also, how do I get that steering wheel off? Is there a special tool?

My cable steering drum is held on with a snap ring. They're very easy to remove with the correct tool (Snap Ring Pliers). They're hell to get off without damaging something otherwise, especially when located in a confined space like mine is.

spikewheelwp116.jpg

"Inside" snap ring (bottom) & "Outside" Snap Ring (top)

19245.JPG

Inside and Outside snap ring pliers. One spreads and the other squeezes. They'll come with different size pins and pins bent at 90 degrees.

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't do spray cans! I did mine with that and it took way more paint than I would have thought. I ended up buying so many cans that I think I could have had it painted professionally for a similar price. I used Rustoleum and it's holding up well. If I had it do over again I'd probably buy some of Rustoleums new marine line and roll/tip it.

No spray cans! I have a compressor and spray gun. If it can be done with a roller or brush, that is much easier than the prep of spraying. I just want a nice finish.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

After seeing the ones TashasDaddy has done with rolling, I'm a believer.

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Special tool...of course. I will look and see what is there. I'll also take a picture and post it. Thanks