New to boats and confused

BryanJK

Recruit
Hey yall,

I'm brand new to boats. I've been on a couple but never owned one or spent much time around them. My girlfriend and I decided we'd like to buy an older (70's-80's) fish and ski type boat to fix up as a project together and enjoy together once it's lake ready. We live in Central Texas and would be using it to enjoy our local lakes and rivers. Neither of us ski, but I love to fish. I'd prefer a bass boat but she wants one with nice comfy seats to "lounge" on and cruise around relaxing with friends.

Anyways, I've been reading the forums here for a couple weeks trying to get a better understanding of things before I go looking at boats. We're looking for one in the $500-$1000 range knowing full well that will mean a lot of work and money needed to get it safe and ready for the water. But we're up for the challenge and look forward to having a common interest project to share. I have been cruising the craigslist adds in that price range to see what kind of work typically would be needed for a boat in that range. We aren't scared at all of refinishing the interior, and I'm a mechanic so engine/drive work doesn't scare me as long as I can find a manual (never done any marine work). What does make me nervous is the structural integrity and making sure all is good on that front. I've read about several folks having to redo stringers, transoms and hull work. To be honest, being so new, I'm a little confused about these. I understand what the stringers and transom are, but us there a way to check and make sure they are in good shape while looking at boats for sale? If there are soft spots in the floor is that generally a clue that something worse is going on underneath or just that the floor would need to be replaced?

A lot of the boats in this price range are either outboards with no motor, or inboards with engine problems. Again I'm not scared of that, but how can I make sure the transom is stable? Do inboards have a transom similar to outboards or is there a different structure that the engine mounts to? While on the subject of engines, without having the boat in water, or with out a running engine, how can I check to make sure the lower unit or drive is in working order?

When it comes to the hull, besides the obvious holes, gashes or questionable patch work, is there anything else I should be on the look out for when it comes to structural integrity of the hull? If work is needed to the hull, at what point does it become too much and not worth it? I know that question is subjective to each person, but as a novice where should I draw the line?

I'd like to thank yall in advance. I've wondered around some other boating forums and to be honest, a lot of the responses on other sites seem to be from rude know-it-alls with a "Well duh, how could you not know this" attitude. I've been impressed by the quality responses from yall on this board and feel comfortable in exposing my ignorance here. Thank you again for any and all responses, assistance, and advice.

younggun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New to boats and confused

Welcome to iboats! I'm not very knowledgeable in this type of stuff as I am learning as well but I'm sure someone will be along before long that is very knowledgeable that can help you.

thumpar

Admiral

If it were me I would up the budget to around $2500 and get a ready to go boat. As you go down in price from there it ends up costing you more in the long run. When I bought our first boat I was most concerned about floors and rot like you. I looked at a few and simply walking around you could tell it was rotten. When the floors are rotten just plan on stringer being rotten and the foam waterlogged. If there are motor problems in an I/O then it was probably not taken care of so plan on a new outdrive. I bought our first boat for $2300. The only thing I did to it other then normal maintenance in the 7 years we had it was convert to electronic ignition (because I wanted to) and do a transom seal kit because of a bad bellows. When I sold it to upgrade it was in great condition and it sold for $2400.

Tnstratofam

Commander

First and foremost Welcome. There are plenty of more experienced people on here who will chime in on this subject soon I'm sure. The price range you are looking at will definitely put you in the fixer up category to say the least. We bought a used 20 foot fiberglass bow rider last spring as our first boat, and we made allot of huge rookie boat owner mistakes.

First a soft spot in the floor does usually mean major problems going on below deck. Such as wet foam, rotten stringers, a rotten transom, and a general nightmare. This is true of both outboard, and inboard/outboard boats.

Second the out drive, and or outboard you choose can add lots of pains to your boat ownership in the form of parts no longer available or scarce such as with an OMC inboard outboard. Or a Chrysler/Force outboard.

Third it is very hard to make a boat designed for pleasure/skiing into a good fishing platform, and it can be difficult to make a bass boat into a good pleasure/ski boat. For this I think a Fish and Ski is a better answer.

Fourth from my current experience of owning now a fiberglass bow rider and an aluminum fish and ski the aluminum boat is much easier to repair/restore. The aluminum boat is also cheaper. That may not hold true in every aspect, but it certainly has for me so far.

You're probably going to have allot of work in some way shape of form no matter what you buy. If it is an Inboard/outboard you are looking at marine engines are not the same as car engines, so don't be fooled by a seller who claims you can just drop a 4.3 truck motor from a junk yard in to replace his blown 4.3 mercruiser. Also other than having a pressure test on the seals I'm not aware of any way to truly verify if an out drive on an inboard outboard is good without a running engine. Also you can't be sure a lower unit on an out board is good without running it in a lake with the boat under load.

I would recommend checking the sticky at the top of this forum as a good starting point. Sig who wrote it also has a restoration thread started. Go through some of these threads to see how much work is involved for different types of rebuilds on different types of boats. You'll get a better sense I think of what to actually be looking at on cl or evil bay.

Lastly be patient. Don't do as we did and buy the first boat you find that you think will fit your needs. We did and even though we like our Stratos, I love the Starcraft we bought later. They both needed work when we got them, but the Starcraft is going to take less time and money to have back in the water this spring.

Good hunting and like I said. Read through lots of threads in the resto forum before you settle on a boat.

:welcome:

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral

There is nothing wrong with a 4.3l truck motor in a boat as long as the core plugs where changed to brass. The cams are so close it doesn't make a difference. Same with SMC and BBC motors.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

At 500 to 1000 unless it,s aluminum you will probably have to spend another 1500 -2000 on replacing transom stringers and deck . And that is doing it yourself . If the boat your looking at has an outboard place your foot on the cav/vent plate on the bottom of the motor and put some weight on it . Pretty much stand on it and see if you can see any flex on the transom . There should be no flex . If it does it probably has a rotten transom . Taking core samples would be the best way to tell if you have rot . That is if the owner will allow it ..
Bring a good charged battery and maybe a hose and a set of muffs with you to test the motor . That is if the owner will not run it for you . Learn to do a compression check . That will say a lot about the shape of the motor .
Welcome aboard Bryan and good luck ! You have come to the right place .SP .. :)

southkogs

Staff member

Some really good stuff HERE.

Welcome aboard - you're gonna' have a tough time in that price range. I just took a quick spin through Austin's Craigslist ads and even your cheap stuff is a little pricier than your budget. Thumpar has a good idea - save some extra cash and spare yourself a bunch of problems. $3,000 spent next year will make it easier to get on the water sooner.

AND - if you want to get out this year: look for a nice canoe or an aluminum open boat with a small outboard (9HP or so will be close to your current budget). Won't be fancy, but you can fish, cruise and swim a little.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This time of year is coming that there will be deals on nice hulls with frozen blocks ( especially after this winters deep freeze). Keep an eye out for one of those. I don't think you can get into a sound hull for the price range you are talking about. I always recommend to new boaters to buy something ready for the water and learn about boating first. If a restoration is still in your bucket list get a second restore able one and rebuild it knowing how you want it to be instead of guessing at things you might want and being wrong.

little.boat

Seaman

My experience any boat priced at $500 they are trying to get you to pay to haul their trash away. $1000 is just slightly above that with maybe a few things salvageable. I would take the money you would spend on trying to fix a $1000 boat which would probably be around $1500 minimum likely more in the $2500 range and but a boat water ready. I dont know about your area but here in Kentucky for $3000-$3500 you can get some fairly nice fish and ski boats. Mid-late 90's nitro or stratos with a 90hp motor in pretty good shape. maybe start looking in areas you are willing to drive to if they are to expensive in your market. most owners that want to sell their boat would take it to a marine mechanic, that you could call and speak to and have them run a compression check for you and most just give you their overall impression of the boat. if you were serious about buying and making the drive.

little.boat

Seaman

i don't mean you have to drive long distances either just some smaller towns that are not near other big cities.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

A $1000 boat will most often cost an additional $3000. Add in your labor at $1 per hour and it will be another $500. Mistakes/errors cost extra. Listen to those above and save your money to buy an almost ready for the water craft.

AgnotGt

Seaman

Welcome

As a new boater you might also consider taking a Safe Boater Class. Just a basic course will give you knowledge you didn't even know you might need. Here's a link to Parks and Wildlife web site for Texas.

Sounds like a great project to do together! We enjoy pictures of your project too. Best of luck!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Welcome aboard.

lots of good advice here. and most of it is to have a higher starting budget to jump into boating. starting with a project usually sours one on the hobby. I agree, look for a boat in the $2500 range and have fun. a $500 boat can easily become a $3500 boat before you even get it wet.

Maclin

Admiral

I agree with and recommend increasing the initial budget to $2500 to start with a useable boat. You may be able to find one now in the $1800 bracket but get into a mindset of $2500 being initial expenditure. In March they will definitely go up.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with those who agree........ $2500 start,, from there.... take your time.....even a $2500 boat can cost you another $2500 to get it where it needs to be.....pay attention to the whole package.........trailer too...... you can end up spending more money on the trailer to get it safe than the boat.... have fun looking, the only dumb ? is the one that was not asked..........no one here was born a boat expert,, mistakes, learn, mistakes, learn...that's the way it goes...:)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I have to laugh (more like a scoff) at the idea of a $2500 "water ready" boat, unless it's still fairly new and very small.

The "water ready" boats I'm familiar with in that price range are on their last leg, and while they may appear decent or maybe even nice enough to the first time novice buyer you'll be very lucky to get 1 trouble free season out of them before realizing the headaches you've bought.

Your best bets will be:

1. Find a boat you like with a motor and trailer and restore it, have the motor checked by a marine mechanic before purchase. When buying an older fiberglass boat these are the 2 things you're really paying for, the old rotten piece of crap hull is free.

2. Find a hull you like on a trailer that you can get the boat to where you plan to work on it and restore both of them and shop for a good used motor after you restore the boat. Again, have the motor checked by a mechanic.

When you completely restore an old boat, you get a like new boat for a small fraction of the cost of a brand new one.

thumpar

Admiral

I have to laugh (more like a scoff) at the idea of a $2500 "water ready" boat, unless it's still fairly new and very small.

The "water ready" boats I'm familiar with in that price range are on their last leg, and while they may appear decent or maybe even nice enough to the first time novice buyer you'll be very lucky to get 1 trouble free season out of them before realizing the headaches you've bought.

Your best bets will be:

1. Find a boat you like with a motor and trailer and restore it, have the motor checked by a marine mechanic before purchase. When buying an older fiberglass boat these are the 2 things you're really paying for, the old rotten piece of crap hull is free.

2. Find a hull you like on a trailer that you can get the boat to where you plan to work on it and restore both of them and shop for a good used motor after you restore the boat. Again, have the motor checked by a mechanic.

When you completely restore an old boat, you get a like new boat for a small fraction of the cost of a brand new one.
I bought my first boat (in the sig) for $2300. It was water ready and had it for 7 years with just normal maintenance.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I bought my first boat (in the sig) for $2300. It was water ready and had it for 7 years with just normal maintenance.

I bought my 1st NEW boat, motor, and trailer for $2450 but that was before most here were born....

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

I bought my first boat for $1200, a 15ft Glastron Trihull with 50hp merc.. ran well,, simply was not big enough, last year I bought a 20ft cuddy for $2500, it runs fine........I spent more money on the trailer than the engine........

southkogs

Staff member

My boat - gas, registration, repairs, etc. included - probably hasn't cost me $4,500 in the 5 years I've owned it. It was an unusual case where my stupidity worked out.

Bottom line: a lake ready, usable boat is possible under $3,500.