new to boating repair - could use some advice

tsukasa1105

Recruit
i have an opportunity to buy a 1978 caver 33 for $8k.

It has a little bit of hull damage (1ft x 1ft square punched in a little way above the water line, and a half foot small crack, again way above the water line), some 12v dc wiring work (nav lights don't turn on), needs a second engine and has plumbing issues.

I'm obviously alright doing the work myself, and from what I understand the hull repair is fairly straightforward and cheap. Wiring I don't think will be too big of an issue. My understanding is the engine on that boat you can find parts for anywhere and obtaining and putting in a new engine will be ~$1000

My main concern is the plumbing. The head is pulled out, and the dock water is disconnected because the owner says when it is connected both of the faucets leak - they are shot. It is unknown whether the faucets are the only part that is leaking, he has not investigated further, so it is possible all of the plumbing will need to be replaced.

How expensive is this plumbing issue, potentially? What other things should I look at on this boat? Anyone have any good recommendations on where to find the wiring / plumbing diagrams for this boat or any other resources that I should pick up?

I'm looking at getting this boat as a liveaboard, so the plumbing is the greatest inconvenience. I can deal with it not moving for a few months and using it as a floating condo, but the inconvenience of walking a quarter mile each way to the bathroom will be kind of annoying some days.

I greatly appreciate any feedback or help you guys can provide.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Re: new to boating repair - could use some advice

I think you are - waaaay - under estimating what are you about to get yourself into. An "new" engine for a boat like this - Mercruiser 5.7 - or equivalent will cost you something around 8K turn key and no less than a half that for long block. that is assuming the other engine is in a good shape and doesn't need a complete overhaul.

Fiberglass repair is relatively simple - techniques wise - job but it is not cheap considering the material and tools and resin required.

What is the status of the transom, stringers, interior?
Does the gas tank leak?
Electrical is not cheap in a boat like it is - relatively - in a house. You need to use marine grade wire type 2 at least if not type 3 and those are not cheap specially if you buy by foot.

Consult a marine surveyor with good reputation to make sure you have a comprehensive list of what needs to get done. Post it here and I am sure some experts will be able to give you an accurate enough estimate of the DIY cost. You don't want to sink 8K into a piece of junk that needs another 10K-15K to be seaworthy. Best of luck

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member

"Opportunity" would not be the correct word.

Last edited:

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like it needs a full resto for 8k I wouldn't do it. If you have twin engines and plan on getting a used motor that may work for 1k if you do all the work but there is a higher possibility that you will get unbalanced power levels in the two motors and would need to pull both and have them both rebuilt and matched.

jfas

Seaman Apprentice

Unfortunately, I agree with the above posters. I know boats similar to the one you're looking at around these parts in running condition would sell for about that much. I'm very familiar with Carvers, as I have worked on them and been on a number of them. The have an excellent hull and are very well built boats. The mechanical, plumbing, and electrical systems are always done well with high quality materials. I would assume that size and vintage of boat has either straight drives or v-drives, I'm guessing older crusader motors and velvet drive transmissions. All solid mechanicals, but very expensive to replace. A used engine and transmission with this setup around here would fetch anywhere between 2k-5k depending on the hours, setup, and condition. Honestly, I think the plumbing would be the least of my concerns. As the other posters have mentioned my concerns would be in this order; hull structure, mechanicals, electrical, and then plumbing.

JFas