NEW STARTER TROUBLE

misdeal

Seaman
hey folks, could realy use some help,,put a brand new starter on 2 weeks ago, was working great until today, went to start the boat and it was turning once again as if the battery was dead ,only this time even with key in off position it was still trying to turn the flywheel, had to disconnect the battery to stop it and the bendix is still engauged with the fly wheel,,my guess is I will be returning the starter to iboats for a new one,,but im hope its something simple and wont have to return it

M Strawn

Seaman Apprentice
Sounds like a bad solenoid. With the battery disconnected, check for continuity between the two big posts on the solenoid. With no voltage applied from the battery, there should be no continuity between the posts. Could be intermittent though if they are just sticking. Probably pitted on the points.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Strawn is correct. The internal contacts in an old starter solenoid can weld themselves together, such that the starter will constanly turn, even when the key switch is off or in the "run" position. It can drain a good battery. A new solenoid will likely cure the problem.

misdeal

Seaman
thanks for the info,,solenoid is brand new as well,,,i took the starter off and found the bendix was stuck, fixed that issue, battery was almost dead, charged battery and motor fired right up,,,starter didn't stick,,hope the issue is resolved ,,,boat is at the shop having the bottom painted,,,i have the old solenoid which I only changed because I changed the starter,,,again thanks for the info