New Speeditwin Cottage Racer

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Just Picked this up tonight.

Came with a bunch of Michigan brass props, spare prop shafts, gears, etc...

Look at the size of the fuel line, seller ran it on a Sea Flea in the 50s and ran Alcohol in it.

No tiller, hence the home made brackets for the cable system.

Should be fun to run this monster!

013-1.jpg

001-3.jpg

010-2.jpg

011-2.jpg

007-1.jpg

012.jpg

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: New Speeditwin Cottage Racer

Hey, nice find Chris. I always love seeing these real classics posted here on the forum. What year is that? It looks early 30's

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Im having trouble dating it. It was a cottage racer, so it is not all original. Not much of a skeg left either, the owner ground down a little more before every race trying to gain seconds.

The propshafts and bearings are actually quite easy to swap. Just 2 bolts. He has a few differnet ones with different systems set up. Must have been for testing.

She will scream with those stacks on her!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Found out some info from an AOMCI member that is knowledgeable on these.

The Elto gearcase and OMC mag are '31 or '32 vintage.

The lugs on the cylinders are 6039 vintage

Vacturi carb with adaptor, 2 ring high dome pistons, large capacity filter bowl for C service racing. Neoprene hose was standard for a Alky racer. Elevated gas tank for increased pressure and fuel flow. The racing drive shaft housing is pure brass, apparently worth a pretty penny. The exhaust stacks are made my WISECO. You can see the pistons/rings.

Apparently this thing just SCREAMS on the water. Cant wait to find out.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I think they also elevated the gas tank to clear those exhaust stacks too. :D

nwcove

Admiral

would love to see a vid of that on the water.......around dusk ! nice old modded motor!!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The biggest of the props there will not fit the Speeditwin - it WILL fit 1951 & up Johnrude Big Twins, though - a VERY nice prop to find! Those typically came in 15 or 16 inch pitch and would only really work well on a very light hull.

Love the motor - is that a Vacturi 500 carb? If so, it's probably worth as much as you paid for the whole thing, if not more!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yeah the bigger prop got mixed in there by mistake, it is a bronze Michigan AJC 460.

The only downside of this deal is he made me buy his big twin as well, which is about the ugliest thing ever, which the prop is for. Basically ugly parts motor, but only wanted 50 bucks for it so bought it just to get to the Speeditwin.

The Vacturi carb is worth alot, but what is worth MORE is the brass racing drive shaft housing.

The ignition is set up to fire off of a battery, so am going to have to rig something up for that, never had one before.

Will definately post a video once she is running, should be loud.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Started out as a 25hp.....actually pretty big for a little sea flea

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Zephyr its a 52 Big Twin, Ill post a pic, she is a beauty (sarcasm here) :)

SOmeone painted it a shade of holiday paint over the blue, tilller handle, knobs, everything. Who needs to mask? LOL

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Sweet. One of my favorite motors. Too bad I don't live close. I would buy it. :D

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

For a cottage racer, you got some nice parts. You noted the short down tube - a good one to have! The keepers on the ends of the cylinder heads are typical of a racing motor, too - not something someone would put on there for a sea flea. They're there to keep the jugs from going KaBlooey!! if you dump it - water doesn't compress! As you're finding out, a racing motor is often a mix of parts, not all from same vintage, or even manufacturer. C-Service was likely the class this was run in. It was kind of a bridge class between a bone stock motor and full blown alcohol & castor oil classes...

FYI - wouldn't be hard to convert that motor to magneto ignition if you wanted to use it - I believe the ignition of a relatively common 6039 Speeditwin will fit...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The keepers are pretty ugly, made out of plate, so going to try to figure out something nicer for the restore. Same goes with the bracket along the back. You would think there would be a tie rod across the front as well to hold it all together.

Im thinking this thing does have a magneto ignition, the plug on the end of the timer handle is an accessory to add a light for night running. The holes on either side of the timer handle are for a battery boost feature for difficult starting. Once you had your extra juice, the battery jacks could be pulled out and then the motor would run off the magneto.

Going to pull the flywheel and see what I find.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

HighTrim, did you ever hear of a "Hot Shot" battery? I remember my Dad having some outboards years ago that required one to make them run.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The ones with battery ignitions?

I dont have any myself but have seen them run. All my old guys have Magneto ignitions.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, but I was to young then to know the difference between bat and mag ignition.